Engineering/Software Design Manager
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Management of the Safeline Technical team (including research) with prime responsibility for the following:
- Maintain and support existing product platforms
- Further develop existing product offerings and offer technical and application support
- Architectural design, development and maintenance of hardware for next generation of products
- Achieve and maintain technical leadership in metal detection systems within our chosen markets
- Research into new technologies, techniques and methodologies
- Support the wider Safeline and Mettler Toledo organisation in all technical matters relating to metal detection systems
- Support departmental “Hull Speed” initiative to increase innovation and reduce time to market
- Continuous improvement (Product Reliability & Quality, Regulatory Compliance, H&S, etc)
- Work together with other PLM members, as appropriate, to plan and execute projects, ensure that teams have appropriate product and technical specifications, direction, and resources to deliver products effectively by establishing realistic estimates for timelines while ensuring that projects remain on target to meet deadlines.
- Work closely with other PLM members, for understanding the system’s functional and non-functional requirements.
- Collaborate with the Product Management function in defining new product vision and requirements.
- Proactive research of new technologies, techniques and methodologies in order that current and future needs of our customers are addressed, where appropriate, via the application of state-of-the-art technologies. Provide creative spark needed to cross boundaries in transducer designs and signal processing
- Assessment of potential performance improvements in established designs. Development of hardware enhancements and fixes that are coordinated based upon release schedules.
- Development and management of geographically dispersed technical functions to support PO strategy
- Timely Investigation, analysis, resolution and documentation of internal and external reported issues.
- Support engineers and technicians resolve both process and technical problems via the application of disciplined problem-solving techniques.
- Monitor individual employees’ performance
- Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development
- Ensure that duties are carried out in accordance with all company policies, procedures and processes
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Systems Design or other similar related mechanical design discipline.
- Proven sustained technical management/leadership experience in mechatronic development orientated organisations with good electrical systems awareness.
- Proven experience working through the research, design, development, release cycle and delivering physical products to market
- A record of successful delivery of mechanical system design solutions as an individual and via strong management of wider technical teams
- Strong leadership, project management skills, time management and problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding and practitioner of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
- Skilled in Inventor or similar 3D design package, FEA and producing conceptual design supported by rendered images
- Experienced in Safe Mechanical Design (SMD), conducting Risk Assessments and ensuring designs meet regulatory and industry requirements e.g. CE, Machinery Directive, FDA, EHEDG etc.
- Experience working within a technically challenging, fast-paced environment with proven ability to apply sound judgement in successful task planning and execution
- Good knowledge of fabrication, welding, casting, vacuum forming etc
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven management skills in coaching, mentoring and building engineering team bench strength
IT literate. MS Office (Outlook, Word, PPT, Excel). Used to working within design workflows and tools integrated into an end to end ERP system
If you are interested in this role please apply online and a member of our Talent Acquisition Team will be in touch.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on 'Apply' and follow a short application process.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960141988