Lead Software Engineer (Java)
What you'll do:
The Lead Software Engineer is a key role in our Bet Trading Tribe: leading a multi-disciplinary squad of highly skilled individuals. In collaboration with the Product Owner and the solution architect, you will lead the delivery of high quality products to production, ensuring your squad focuses on the highest priorities.
Often running ahead to explore new market opportunities, your squad will focus on rapid prototyping as well as more strategic services around betting. You will directly support the traders who use your services, including supporting an on-call rota.
You are self-motivated and willing to contribute at all levels, listening and learning from the talented people around you. You have an eye on the bigger picture and can plan ahead so there are no last minute surprises. You care about energizing your squad to deliver fantastic services for our customers.
You will line manage five Software Engineers in the squad and be responsible for their career development. Our mission is to create the best place our people have ever worked at, and we need you to help us achieve this.
How you'll do it:
Reporting to an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Line manage and coach the Software Engineers in the squad
- Encourage squad members to lead initiatives and develop themselves
- Work with the team to drive best practices and technical improvements in the squad
- Work with the Engineering Manager to recruit the best engineers for your team
- Work with your Product Owner to determine the best way to deliver the roadmap
- Lead by example on transparent communication, ensuring that business expectations are always set realistically
- Champion, maintain and uphold the SDLC, and drive improvements to working practices
- Lead on inceptions and elaboration of work
- You will need to demonstrate good understanding of Java and ideally, AWS native technologies; and be comfortable with techniques such as message queues, data stores and know what makes a good RESTful API
How we work:
- Yes, we do gambling. No, we don't have a high-pressure, competitive environment. Your colleagues want you to succeed as much as you do
- We encourage squad autonomy. If you don't like the way something is done, do something about it!
- Friday afternoons are your personal learning and development sessions. Use this time to spend your £1000 Tech Ninja fund, collaborate with your colleagues - we want you to be excited about this!
- We understand you have a home life and aim to be flexible, both with the hours you work and the option to work from home one day a week
- Our engineers work closely with colleagues in all positions, so a high level of interpersonal skill is important to us. We need everyone in the squad to understand the goal for the week
- We are not building a monolithic enterprise app - think micro-services and a lean approach with quick running tests, automation and deployment
- We promote incremental deliveries: giving value to the business quickly through feature-based delivery, observing and adapting as you go
- We value previous experience developing for high-demand & high-availability environments
Bet trading tribe, what we do:
Trading is at the heart of the action for all our sports data. Our time-critical systems need to be able to handle large influxes of data, whilst keeping latency to a minimum - our exposure to in-play betting risks depends on it. Using technologies such as Java, Node, React, Kotlin, Kubernetes, Kafka and native AWS components, we process and assess incoming data, allowing traders to make on-the-fly decisions about how we price our offerings, whether that's a future event or an in-play RAB. Our environment is Agile but our engineering practices need to be sound. We get audited from multiple directions so we need to be sure we have a robust SDLC and a strong focus on security.
We also offer an attractive relocation package for candidates that live outside the Yorkshire region, including those outside the UK.
Our People Ambition is to attract & develop diverse & talented people to meet the current and future growth needs of SB&G. Together, our aim is to create the Best Digital Business to work at.