Equivalent to a £70,000 - £72,000 per annum salary on a 12 month rolling PAYE contract
Birmingham - HS2
My client is currently looking for a Systems Engineer on the HS2 project.
Purpose of the job:
- To lead the development of all aspects of the railway system development to support submission of
the Hybrid Bill. This requires coordination throughout the organisation, facilitating the assurance of technical submissions from Professional Service Consultants (PSCs) to determine end to end compliance with standards and requirements of the totality of the Phase Two network.
Accountabilities of the job:
- Act as the interface between the development directorate and the Railway Operations Directorate.
- Ensure the Hybrid Bill designs for HS2 Phase Two meets the requirements of the 'end state' railway
in terms of operability and reliability.
- Lead the provision of expert technical and engineering input from a railway systems perspective to
support the Hybrid Bill design through parliament including additional provisions, freedom of
information requests, and technical requests.
- Manage and guide the area teams, drawing on expertise from within HS2 to inform and support
PSCs in delivering the whole railway system. Act as the interface between Technical Directorate and the area teams ensuring design development and issues are consistently addressed.
- Identify, assess and manage project wide design risks.
Knowledge, skills and experience required for the role:
- Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering.
- Chartered engineer (or equivalent relevant experience).
- Extensive knowledge of railway operations / engineering design principles required to achieve
optimal design outputs.
- Detailed knowledge of conventional railway systems and an appreciation of High Speed railway
systems and their differences.
- Ability to carry out robust independent checks on a wide variety of designs and produce, interpret
and assess specifications, standards and technical reports.
- Ability to resolve complex design problems, demonstrating a tenacious approach to tackling
problems whilst maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary
stakeholders, demonstrating excellent influencing skills.
- Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of stakeholders through working within a
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Strong team management, planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver under
pressure to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions.
If you are interested in this new opportunity, please do not hesitate to apply and we will be in contact shortly or can give me a call on 01895 671832.
We look forward to hearing from you.
"VGC are acting an employment business to this vacancy"