Stewart Milne Group provides innovative solutions for commercial developments and residential homes through our Homes, Timber Systems and Commercial Developments across the UK. We have a strong reputation for high quality and innovation with a market leading position based on our expertise, quality and commitment to providing the best service to our customers. We attract individuals who enjoy a solutions focussed working environment based on continuous personal development and supportive leadership.
Our Timber Systems division is the leading provider of Timber Frame construction solution to the Private, Social / Affordable and Commercial / public works sectors. We operate throughout the United Kingdom and have two manufacturing plants, Witney Oxfordshire and Aberdeen Scotland, with regional offices in Glasgow and Manchester.
We have a reputation for being awarded repeat business from key clients based on customer service and technical expertise and have successfully delivered projects ranging from £50k to £5m throughout the UK. Our product range includes for bespoke engineered solutions from traditional Timber Frame through to advanced off site manufactured products with superior fabric performance.
Reporting to the Head of Technical and based in our Witney office, you will be responsible for providing timely and accurate timber frame engineering appraisals to the drawing office and control the budget for structural engineer professional fees. The structural designs that you shall provide will be compliant with our estimated project budgets, shall be compliant with our design systems and compliant with relevant statutory codes and legislation.
In keeping with the specific importance given to Health & Safety and the Environment by Stewart Milne Group you have specific accountabilities as set out in our Corporate Responsibility for Health & Safety and Environmental Policy.
- Timber frame Engineering Appraisals to the drawing office. This involves liaising directly between SMTS and our external Engineers over a wide range of projects including housing, flatted developments from 2-storey to 5-storey and over, commercial developments including schools, hospitals and hotels amongst others.
- Appraisals in line with the program dates.
- Checking that external Engineers Appraisals are in accordance with SMTS brief and specification, whilst also making sure the appraisal provides a safe, robust yet economical structural solution.
- Support to the estimating department by responding to Engineering queries and by providing budget appraisals to assist with quotations.
- Engineering support to the business development through providing timber frame friendly conceptual designs for existing and new clients.
- Solutions to technical problems coming from the drawing office or construction sites.
- Engineering assistance to product development and processes of continuous improvement levels.
Essential Technical Expertise
- A relevant UK or EU Engineering qualification - i.e. BSc / BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Proven post graduate work experience
- Applicants will be expected to display competency in timber frame structural design and knowledge of current timber frame construction techniques. Eurocode experience, in addition to British Standards knowledge would be advantageous.
- Construction industry experience within a design environment
In return, we are offering the successful candidate a comprehensive training and development programme, the opportunity to work with a variety of customers, with the support of a highly experienced team. This is in addition to a competitive salary, company car or allowance and flexible benefits package, which includes 32 days holiday, pension scheme amongst others. Also we operate flexible working hours including benefit of optional 9 day fortnight.