Cost Engineer required on a contract basis to join an industry leading manufacturing business.
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity at the forefront of manufacturing technology? Do you have a background strategically controlling and coordinating the cost of components? Have you got a experience of working in a fast paced manufacturing / NPI environment? If you are seeking an exciting technical challenge then this is the contract role for you!
The objective of the Strategic Cost Management team is to identify, evaluate and deliver projects that reduce the impact of material cost on all products produced. This is done through the use and deployment of various cost management tools and close working relationships with other divisions of the business particularly purchasing, engineering and supply chain. Collaboration and engagement beyond local team is essential.
Key activities will involve exposure to many other areas of the business and making significant contribution to the year over year cost reduction and product cost targets set by the organization
The primary focus of this position is the development of detailed component cost models and high level cost estimates for existing parts, new parts and competitor parts. Cost models account for all costs drivers associated with the manufacture and supply of components. The creation of models and estimates will involve the application of your existing manufacturing/engineering and product knowledge, or through detailed investigation of the desired process and technology. The completed analysis sets the baseline that will help identify cost reduction opportunities/projects for subsequent delivery through Strategic Cost Management or NPI teams
This role covers both current and New Product Introduction (NPI) programmes.
- Form high level cost estimates using existing knowledge coupled with information derived from 2D drawings, 3D Solid model, material specifications, technical specifications, material type, part samples, component assessment forms, process knowledge and supplier data.
- Use the above to develop detailed component 'Should Cost' models from bottom up. Models are generated using dedicated software to process data, including: - manufacturing process, machine data, labour rates, commercial data, scrap rates etc
- Identify cost reduction opportunities after reviewing the incumbent suppliers operational process end to end then finalising 'Cost model' results
- Work with project team to derive a targeted negotiation strategy based on Cost model data
- Provide technical support to buyers during supplier negotiations
- Undertake price change assessments prior to sign off to ensure value for money
- Manage VA/VE (Value Added / Value Engineering) events and process optimisation workshops to identify cost reduction opportunities for delivery
- Work with Design Engineering as a consultant to develop cost effective solutions
- This is a great opportunity for someone who has experience in material cost management with a strong foundation in a range of manufacturing processes
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes and commercial cost drivers
- Experience of managing multiple projects
- The ability to demonstrate cross functional team work
- Analysing and interpreting numerical data and reaching sound judgments and recommendations
- Driving License as travel will be required
- Proficient in Microsoft packages.
- Good product knowledge
- Strong ' working' knowledge of Excel
This is an awesome opportunity to be part of a leading manufacturing business which offers an interesting, varied and exciting workload coupled with a motivated and passionate culture. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to deliver programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
Randstad CPE values diversity and promotes equality. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate against any of the protected characteristics that fall under the Equality Act 2010. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are more than happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements as required to support your application.
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
For the purposes of the Conduct Regulations 2003, when advertising permanent vacancies we are acting as an Employment Agency, and when advertising temporary/contract vacancies we are acting as an Employment Business.