Our client, a major manufacturer of engines, based in Peterborough with a globally recognised brand, has just made available a 12 month contract opportunity for a Cost Engineer to join their team.
The objective of the Strategic Cost Management team is to identify, evaluate and deliver projects that reduce the impact of material cost on all products produced. This is done through the use and deployment of various cost management tools and close working relationships with other divisions of the business particularly purchasing, engineering and supply chain. Collaboration and engagement beyond local team is essential.
This role will involve exposure to many other areas of the business and making significant contribution to the year over year cost reduction and product cost targets set by the organisation.
The primary focus of this position is the development of detailed component cost models and high-level cost estimates for existing parts, new parts and competitor parts. Cost models account for all costs drivers associated with the manufacture and supply of components. The creation of models and estimates will involve the application of your existing manufacturing/engineering and product knowledge, or through detailed investigation of the desired process and technology. The completed analysis sets the baseline that will help identify cost reduction opportunities/projects for subsequent delivery through Strategic Cost Management or NPI teams.
This role covers both current and New Product Introduction (NPI) programmes.
Key Responsibilities of the Cost Engineer
- Form high level cost estimates using existing knowledge coupled with information derived from 2D drawings, 3D Solid model, material specifications, technical specifications, material type, part samples, component assessment forms (CAF's), process knowledge and supplier data.
- Use the above to develop detailed component 'Should Cost' models from bottom up. Models are generated using dedicated software to process data, including: - manufacturing process, machine data, labour rates, commercial data, scrap rates etc.
- Identify cost reduction opportunities after reviewing the incumbent suppliers operational process end to end then finalising 'Cost model' results
- Work with project team to derive a targeted negotiation strategy based on Cost model data
- Provide technical support to buyers during supplier negotiations
- Undertake price change assessments prior to sign off to ensure value for money
- Manage VA/VE (Value Added / Value Engineering) events and process optimisation workshops to identify cost reduction opportunities for delivery
- Work with Design Engineering as a consultant to develop cost effective solutions
Qualifications and Experience required for the Cost Engineer
This is a great opportunity for someone who has experience in material cost management with a strong foundation in a range of manufacturing processes.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes and commercial cost drivers
- Experience of managing multiple projects
- The ability to demonstrate cross functional team work
- Analysing and interpreting numerical data and reaching sound judgments and recommendations
- Driving License as travel will be required
- Proficient in Microsoft packages
- Educated to a degree level or relevant work experience
- Good product knowledge
- Strong 'working' knowledge of Excel
To apply, please send us a copy of your up to date CV clearly indicating your relevant experience. Candidates must have an existing right to work in the UK and evidence of eligibility will be required. Suitable candidates will be contacted.