Chief Accountant - 12 month FTC - Havant And Petersfield (Regular Travel between the sites)
About the role
The Chief Accountant is working in an outsourced environment. The role will include a number of tasks which will combine the need for a measured, professional approach with the opportunity to demonstrate both flair and initiative. The role includes management responsibility for service delivery and ensuring that performance meets contractual requirements. The Chief Accountant is responsible for both the financial and management accounting services delivery for the clients supported from the shared services centre.
We are Capita, the UK's leading provider of business process management and integrated professional support service solutions. Through bespoke, quality solutions, we've helped countless organisations unlock value and maximise their potential. With access to our range of unique and diverse opportunities, offering real career advancement and progression, we can unlock your potential too.
Capita Local Government Services (LGS), a branch of Capita Business Services Ltd, specialises in providing support, advice and resources to local authorities throughout the UK.
- Management of the Accountancy Team
- Performance management including recruitment and selection, induction, staff appraisals, training and development
- Oversee production of Statement of Accounts and supporting audit pack
- Management of budgetary control and monitoring process
- Management of the budget setting cycle
- Production of management accounts, variance analysis and other financial reports for Service Managers, Senior Management Team and committees
- Management of technical areas such as Capital planning and Accounting, Collection Fund, local government funding and Treasury Management
- Review and develop services with the clients with a view to continuous improvement
- Provide financial support and advice at all levels
- Development and review of the financial systems to aid continuous improvement and efficiency and effectiveness
- Monitor and manage services for compliance with service levels and performance indicators
- Review service to ensure meeting contractual requirements and in-line with service delivery scope and expectations
- Other ad hoc work and projects as required
- Proven Management skills
- Ability to manage performance of oneself and the team
- Technically competent financial and management accountant with experience of:
- Corporate budget setting and monitoring
- Working with directors and senior management in a large and/or complex organization
- Practical experience of closing down and preparing a statement of accounts
- Detailed understanding of Local Government Finance
- Experience of working in local government
- Experience of working with councilors
- Report writing and presentation skills
- Financial system implementation and management
- Project management
- Management of change specifically cultural change
- Managing a team of professional staff
- Proven success in delivering service improvements
- CCAB or CIMA qualified
- Ability to manage, lead and motivate staff
- Good customer relationship
- Positive 'can do' attitude with a commitment to deliver excellent services to our customers
- Enthusiastic, highly motivated, adaptable and proactive, with ability to work flexibly in a changing and challenging environment
- Detailed knowledge of finance systems, and system implementations
- Ability to communicate financial matters to non-financial managers and staff
- Strong analytical skills allied with an innovative and problem-solving approach to develop and improve efficient and effective systems and procedures
- Willingness to travel as required to support the business needs
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - click apply now.
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.
Listen | Create | Deliver
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960139646