Primary Maths Lead
Job Description: Primary Maths Lead
Reports to: Appropriate Senior Leader
Start date: September 2018
Role type: Teaching role is permanent – maths lead role is fixed until September 2019, when the structure of the school will likely change
Additional time out of class: Equivalent to half a day a week
Salary: TLR 3 - £2,609 for the academic year 2018-19
The Maths Lead is a classroom based role which allows an excellent classroom teacher to develop as a leader. The Maths Lead will be responsible for the leadership of an excellent primary maths curriculum, ensuring all our pupils make excellent progress in maths through key leadership actions. They will also model excellence through their own classroom practice.
The Maths Lead will lead on ensuring that our maths curriculum across EYFS, KS1 and KS2 is truly preparing our pupils to be successful in secondary and at university and beyond.
The precise areas of responsibility for this post will be agreed based around the skills of the Math lead and the needs of the school, but it is anticipated that you will:
- Model excellent teaching in your own class
- Be the named Maths Mastery lead, managing the relationship with Maths Mastery
- Provide feedback through coaching to other staff
- Monitor and evaluation of books and the quality of maths teaching
- Organise electronic and physical resources
- Lead PD sessions
- Take an active role in organising special curriculum events
- Review the curriculum to embed a culture of backwards planning in primary maths which enables our pupils to be prepared for secondary school, university and beyond
- Monitor and evaluate the work and improve all areas of responsibility over time
- Use data analysis effectively (national, local, school data and inspection data) to inform policies, teaching and learning and whole school improvement.
- To write an Maths action plan as part of the Academy Development Plan, and evaluate the effectiveness of the plan on a half-termly basis
- To advise and inform staff about assessment, recording and reporting procedures
- To assist SLT in the monitoring and evaluation of the quality of learning through observations and lesson, work and planning reviews where appropriate
- Play an active part in the performance management cycle
- Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal or the line manger
This job description sets out the main duties of the post at the time of drafting. It cannot be read as an exhaustive list. These responsibilities will be discussed annually as part of the postholder’s annual performance review and are subject to change. However, it may be altered at any time subject to need in consultation with the postholder subject to the Principal’s approval.
Person Specification: Primary Maths Lead
Necessary qualification criteria
- Qualified to degree level and above
- Qualified to teach in the UK
- Right to work in the UK
- Experience of writing a long term curriculum, excellent medium term plans and excellent lesson plans and training other staff to do so
- Experience of raising attainment in a challenging classroom environment
- Evidence of continually improving the behaviour and culture of groups of pupils
- Experience of leading, coaching and managing staff is desirable
Skills and attributes
We are looking for these skills and attributes or at the very least, a candidate’s clear, demonstrable capacity to develop them:
Alignment with KSA vision
- Relentless drive to do whatever it takes to ensure all students succeed.
- The belief that with the right environment all pupils are able to excel at university and beyond.
- The courage and conviction to make a difference.
- The ability to listen and communicate effectively.
- Empathy and the ability to understand the needs, aspirations and motivation of diverse individuals and groups.
- The ability to influence and motivate others.
Working with others
- Develop and communicate a shared vision.
- Model desired behaviour and values.
- Empower, support and coach others.
- Hold others to account for high standards of performance.
- Understand and resolve conflict.
- Identify, analyse and resolve problems and issues.
- Develop plans with concrete outcomes and effective solutions.
- Evaluate results and identify necessary actions.
- Make fact-based decisions.
- Sustain energy, optimism and motivation in the face of pressure and setbacks.
- Stay calm in difficult situations and maintain clarity of vision.
- Be adaptable in the face of adversity.
Results and learning orientation
- Awareness of own strengths and limits.
- Commitment to ongoing improvement and learning.
- A passion for teaching subject.
- Focus on achieving challenging goals and results.
- Resourcefulness and flexibility in delivering outcomes.
- Effective team worker and leader.
- Demonstrates resilience, motivation and commitment to driving up standards of achievement.
- Acts as a role model to staff and students.
- Vision aligned with KSA’s high aspirations, high expectations of self and others.
- Able to model the importance of effectiveness of joy in learning environments and of nurturing relationships with pupils
- High expectations for accountability and consistency.
Leading the learning
- Excellent classroom practitioner and coach.
- Effective and systematic behaviour management with clear boundaries, sanctions, rewards and praise.
This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check.