Science Teacher - Develop as an exceptional teacher at King Solomon Academy
We are looking for an individual with a genuine passion for teaching Science at King Solomon Academy and a belief in the potential of every child and that through hard work all pupils can access and benefit from a university education.
KSA is a rare example of a genuinely all-through school, with one curriculum, culture, staff body and leadership team supporting our pupils’ journey from nursery to university.
KSA is a pioneering school looking to hire exceptional people. This is a unique opportunity for an ambitious and high-performing teacher and leader who is committed to pushing themselves further and achieving amazing things with and for their pupils. We believe in high expectations and a sense of collaborative and positive enthusiasm which brings out the best in our team. Through weekly coaching and time allocated to professional development we can help our teachers excel in creating a successful environment for our pupils.
Science is a vital part of academy life, with 75% of pupils studying triple science at GCSE, and healthy uptake at A-level. In September 2018 we are also excited to be offering BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science. We invest time and effort into teaching science to mastery, so that our pupils can have the best possible life opportunity that academic scientific excellence brings. Our outcomes across our whole community are impressive – over 70% of our Year 11 pupils achieved B and above in Additional Science last year.
This role represents the opportunity for a teacher to immerse themselves in a highly developmental environment and achieve true greatness in their teaching, while developing their leadership potential for further impact in the future.
To apply, and to see more information about the school and this role please visit our website via the button below. The deadline is 11am on Friday 2nd March 2018. To discuss the role, please feel free to email the Principal’s PA, Shaheen Riaz phone on 02075636901.
Job Description: Teacher of Science
Start date: September 2018
Salary: £29,377 - £39,982 - Ark Mainscale (Inner London + 2.5%)
To provide outstanding teaching and learning to ensure exceptional progress of their students.
- Prepare, deliver and assess learning to a high standard, ensuring great outcomes.
- Provide a nurturing classroom and school environment that helps students to develop as learners
- Helping to maintain/establish discipline across the whole academy
- Contribute to the effective working of the Academy
Outcomes and activities
Teaching and Learning
- To teach engaging and effective lessons that motivate, inspire and transform pupil attainment.
- With direction from the Head of Department, assist in the creation and development of challenging and innovative schemes of work which are inspiring for learners and teachers alike.
- Use regular, measurable and significant assessments to monitor progress and set targets.
- Respond accordingly to the results of such monitoring.
- Ensure that all students achieve at chronological age level or, if well below level, make significant and continuing progress towards achieving at level.
- Maintain regular and productive communication with parents, to report on progress, sanctions and rewards and all other communications.
- To develop an exciting and motivating extra-curricular and enrichment offer including university links, trips and residentials.
- Help create a strong academy community, characterised by consistent, orderly, caring and respectful relationships
- Help develop a small school culture and ethos that is utterly committed to achievement
- Class teacher (teachers will usually be required to perform the role of form teacher / class teacher):
- Create and sustain a positive class culture
- Care for each pupil as an individual and ensure that they succeed academically and develop emotionally and socially
- Hold each pupil to account in every aspect of their school life by maintaining frequent phone/email contact with parents
- Write appropriate comments in reports
- Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal
- Qualified to degree level and above
- Qualified to teach in the UK
- Right to work in the UK
- Experience of raising attainment in a challenging classroom environment
Skills and attributes
We are looking for these skills and attributes or at the very least, a clear, demonstrable capacity to develop them:
- Effective team worker and leader.
- High expectations for accountability and consistency.
- Vision aligned with KSA’s high aspirations, high expectations of self and others.
- Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every student.
- Motivation to continually improve standards and achieve excellence.
- Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils.
Teaching and Learning
- Excellent classroom practitioner.
- Effective and systematic behaviour management, with clear boundaries, sanctions, praise and rewards.
- Has good communication, planning and organisational skills.
- Demonstrates resilience, motivation and commitment to driving up standards of achievement.
- Commitment to regular and on-going professional development and training to establish outstanding classroom practice.
Alignment with KSA vision
- Relentless drive to do whatever it takes to ensure all students succeed.
- The belief that with the right environment more than 95% of our pupils are able to excel at University.
- The courage and conviction to make a difference.
- The ability to listen and communicate effectively.
- Empathy and the ability to understand the needs, aspirations and motivation of diverse individuals and groups.
- The ability to influence and motivate others.
- Identify, analyse and resolve problems and issues.
- Develop plans with concrete outcomes and effective solutions.
- Evaluate results and identify necessary actions.
- Make fact-based decisions.
- Sustain energy, optimism and motivation in the face of pressure and setbacks.
- Stay calm in difficult situations and maintain clarity of vision.
- Be adaptable in the face of adversity.
Results and learning orientation
- Awareness of own strengths and limits.
- Commitment to ongoing improvement and learning.
- A passion for teaching subject.
- Focus on achieving challenging goals and results.
- Resourcefulness and flexibility in delivering outcomes.
This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.