Electromechanical development and test engineer
Have you ever wanted to work in a small team of highly committed individuals to deliver a state-of-the-art product? Would you be excited to design and manufacture components to be launched into space or to be used in a cutting-edge research application? Does the informal and exciting environment of a start-up company appeal to you?
We are looking for a new engineer to join our team.
The role will be to develop and test new products and will involve working alone or as part of a small team. An early project will be the development of a satellite-based capacitive displacement sensor. This will involve designing a test rig to characterise the performance of a displacement sensor prototype, refine the design of the sensor and ultimately progress to miniaturisation and environmental testing in the run-up to space qualification.
We are looking for an enthusiastic engineer with a passion for technology and working in a growing start-up. Because of the very small team, the role will be relatively broad and the nature of a start-up means that you will need to be flexible and occasionally you will be asked to pitch in on other projects. The job will mainly consist of design and testing and re-design of new products but may also involve some manufacturing and assembly when the need arises.
A minimum of an upper second undergraduate qualification in Mechanical or Electromechanical Engineering and either a postgraduate qualification in these subjects or the equivalent relevant industry experience.
· Experience with CAD software, eg SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Inventor
· Experience in finite element analysis
· Someone with a ‘hands on’ approach, who brings imagination to solving engineering problems
· Experience of processing and presenting data
· Experience in design for manufacture: i.e. knowledge of different machining processes and experience in working with machine shops.
· Independent worker who can manage their time and set and keep deadlines
· Attention to detail
· Must have the right to live and work in the UK
· Ideally candidates would have had prior experience designing and building a mechanical test fixture
· Some knowledge of electronic design would be helpful
Company DescriptionRazorbill Instruments is a young engineering start-up that manufactures electromechanical mechanisms for use under cryogenic conditions. We sell specialist scientific equipment based on these technologies to universities and government research facilities across, Europe, the USA and East Asia. We are continually building our technical expertise which feeds into broadening our innovative product range.
Razorbill Instruments is based in an incubator and research institute in Edinburgh, UK.