Data Scientist / Data Engineer
Data Engineer / Data Scientist / Insurance / Data / Start up
Our client, a global Insurance Company are searching for a Data Engineer with a passion for creating and managing innovative data assets to support their insurance business.
Working within the Data Science team your focus will be on the development and management of the underlying data assets. These assets will draw from various sources - internal and external systems and databases, external APIs and so on. Their ambition is to search the evolving global data environment to identify, investigate and exploit new data to better understand risk. You will be required to manage the pipelining (collection, storage, access), engineering (cleansing, feature creation / selection / derivation) and understanding (documentation, exploration) of this data.
You will have immediate exposure to client assignments which will draw on your imagination and creativity as well as your ability to analyse data, draw insights and present results.
- Minimum of a degree in a quantitative subject, likely containing data science, machine learning analytics or actuarial modules
- Strong grounding in Python, particularly accessing and wrangling data from different sources (CSV, SQL, APIs etc.)
- The ability to collect the raw data, transform, manipulate, combine and understand it, describe it creatively and prepare it for further analysis
- Appreciation of the benefits of a structured software engineering environment and good documentation of processes
- The ability to design, implement and use simple database structures to ensure data is organised effectively across the environment (relational databases, HDF5, pandas)
- The ability to understand the pitfalls in different data sources and to perform the necessary provenance and lineage checks
- Ability to write deliverables / reports in a clear, concise and appropriate way and communicate them
- A passion for quality software coding, data and analytics and a good knowledge of statistics
- Desire to work collaboratively with fellow associates, both in the UK and overseas, and to show commitment to exceptional delivery
- Insurance industry knowledge
- Experience or desire to apply predictive modelling techniques to the data
- Ability to think creatively about business problems and opportunities and formulate concise business requirements to drive change