The Department of Chemistry at the University of Warwick is looking to appoint an Accounts Officer, to provide support to the Chemistry Finance Manager and to take day-to-day responsibility for the Department’s financial systems with a particular emphasis on the income and expenditure processes.
The successful candidate will be highly numerical, with an accounting technician qualification, and have experience of financial administration ideally in a University department. They will be highly organised, flexible, and customer-focused with effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Duties and responsibilities
To provide support to the Chemistry Finance Manager and to take day-to-day responsibility for the Department’s financial systems with a particular emphasis on the income and expenditure processes.
1. Work independently to ensure that all purchase invoices received by the Department are processed in accordance with University procedures:
• Be responsible for checking that all invoices are matched to purchase orders and goods receipt notes.
• Create purchase orders for unallocated invoices.
• Check that the VAT status shown on the invoice matches that shown on the purchase order.
• When necessary liaise with suppliers to resolve invoice queries.
• Liaise with Chemistry Stores team to resolve queries relating to the delivery of goods. Contact appropriate staff/ student for other queries.
• Ensure invoices are parked on SAP in a timely manner to ensure prompt payment.
• Investigate and resolve GR and IR mismatches.
2. With the other members of the Chemistry Finance team be responsible for the operation of the OPeRA e-procurement system within Chemistry. The specific tasks allocated to this role are to:
• Be responsible for all new-supplier requests which come through OPeRA. Make judgments, consulting appropriately, as to the right course of action required in line with Purchasing regulations.
• Support Chemistry Stores with approving OPeRA orders ("pre-releaser" role).
• Provide formal and informal training for new starters and giving advice to existing users.
• Process 'one-off’ supplier payments
3. Manage timesheet completion for 40+ researchers working on EC projects. This involves preparing templates for the researchers, checking subsequent submissions and organising academic signatures.
4. Ensure that all payments in respect of credit card transactions are dealt with in a timely manner and that all charges are allocated to the correct cost centres.
5. Raise sales invoices and credit notes on SAP sending invoices to all those whom the Department has supplied goods or services.
6. Oversee and check processing of travel expenses and subsistence claims for the Department on Concur and paper-based expense claims, including Corporate and Purchasing credit card expense claims. Processing of travel bookings.
7. Any other duties as may be required by the Finance Manager or the Senior Administrative Officer, to include running SAP reports and exporting information onto Excel reports for budget holders.
Skills and experience
1.Educated to GCSE level or equivalent with a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grades A to C including English and Maths
2.Working towards AAT or equivalent Accountancy training
3.Working knowledge of accounting packages e.g. SAP, Sage, Opera etc.
4. Previous experience of working in a busy office environment
5. Highly organised with experience of prioritising high volumes of working and working to tight deadlines
6. Good IT skills, able to demonstrate familiarity with standard Microsoft Office applications, email, etc. through previous work experience or basic level IT qualification
7. Good oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with a variety of people whilst maintaining professionalism regardless of the method of communication
8. Highly customer focused and committed to providing an excellent level of service to both internal (e.g. academic staff) and external customers (e.g. suppliers)
9. Accuracy and attention to detail
10. Flexible with a can-do attitude
*Previous experience of working in a busy finance office in a University Department