Power Electronics Engineer
AVID is searching for a number of Power Electronics Engineers to join our award-winning team – developing smart electrified powertrain systems for electric and hybrid vehicles.
Working as part of the engineering team you will be responsible for the design and development of power electronics products for electric vehicles and marine applications. As well as for all technical aspects of the product lifecycle and for ensuring project schedules and material budgets are met.
Essential skills and experience
- 2+ years of relevant practical experience of designing and developing electrical and electronic circuits.
- Experienced in the design and analysis of switched power electronics converter applications up to 500kVA using Power MOSFET and IGBT technologies.
- Experience in power circuit, EMC design, gate drives and control circuit design.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of product development for use in automotive or marine environments.
- Experience with motor drives, power factor correction and grid–tied inverters.
- Understanding of motor control techniques, Field-Oriented Control, DTC, SVM etc.
- Understanding of functional safety analysis, design and validation to standards such as ISO26262, IEC61508, D0178B or similar.
- Experience in mathematical modelling and simulation of circuits and systems using SPICE and/or PLECS.
- Qualification testing of systems including EMC and environmental testing.
- Experienced in the preparation of technical documentation – system functional descriptions, electrical schematics, component BOMs, V&V test plans and reports.
- Excellent communication skills - must be able to deal with all levels of the organisation and be comfortable in presenting design ideas and solutions to customers and senior colleagues.
- Must be enthusiastic and self-motivated; able to work alone with minimum guidance, but also be able to operate effectively as part of a team.
- Organised, methodical approach with good problem solving skills.
- BEng (Hons) Degree or equivalent in Electrical or Electronics Engineering.
Join us to help build a better future!
A leader in the design and manufacture of electrified powertrain and advanced thermal management systems for heavy-duty / high-performance electric (EV) / hybrid vehicles (HEV) and improving conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) efficiency through parasitic loss reduction, efficient thermal management, electrified ancillary systems, and waste heat recovery.
Our core competency is in the design, validation and manufacture of high integrity electronics and electric motors which are used in applications ranging from electric pumps and fans for high performance electric vehicle powertrain, actuation and propulsion in robotics to primary traction drive motors in electric trucks.
Our most recent news is that Investment group GP Bullhound included AVID on a list of “foals” - businesses that could one day be valued at over $1bn!
Where are we?
AVID is based in Cramlington, Northumberland; Cramlington is approximately 10 miles to the north of the vibrant city of Newcastle upon Tyne. The town has excellent transport links with bus and rail services into Newcastle, and is near to Newcastle Airport. It is also close to the beautiful Northumberland countryside and coastline.
The North East of England is recognised as a great place to live and work with relatively low living costs compared to the rest of the UK and the benefits of fantastic countryside and open spaces. For more information about living and working in the North East of England please visit live-and-work.northeastengland.co.uk