Part-time Head of Finance, near Bedford/Milton Keynes c £70k pro rata plus bonus, ref: 1594
Part-time Head of Finance, R&D Tax Experts, home-based, 4 days, c. £70k pro rata plus bonus, occasional meetings near Bedford/Milton Keynes ref: 1594
Our client are R&D tax experts, originating from both technology and tax backgrounds who solely focus on the compilation and processing of R&D tax claims for both the SME and large company market. Well established, friendly team where the current post holder is retiring.
Assistance with all claim preparation:
In reality this can be broken down and separated to:
• Preparing and analysing financial data received from clients - this will include assisting, when required, with cost extraction, to then compile the R&D schedules. This may include some site visits, but will vary. A good amount can be done remotely.
• Calculating R&D Tax Benefit for each client
• Assisting in submission process - Can include chasing and liaising with accountants
• Keep CRM up to date - this is a responsibility shared with wider team.
• (low priority, as generally done by wider team) - Chasing clients for year end work and scheduling in co-ordinated efforts with team members
• Main responsibility of managing client accountants during claim processing - in terms of assistance during the submission process.
o Occasionally this may mean preparing a CT600 update
• Updating the claim report with the figures for each claim, and adjusting any wording accordingly.
• Being a key part of the 4-eye review process.
• Support for HMRC Enquiries
• Your scope will not include the preparation and compilation of the technical/claim report, unless you had specialist knowledge of the client sector.
Support for business development
• Supporting the wider teams for target research, working on estimating R&D cash benefit projections, digesting any accounts received, assisting with proposals.
• You are not expected to win work, and your engagement will not be structured around this. But never the less - should you want to there will be bonuses paid on this.
• All billing
• Internal book-keeping
• Financial controller responsibilities - ledgers, projections, VAT, payroll, cash planning, payments to suppliers, credit control
• Preparation of monthly management accounts
• Preparation of year end file and pass to accountants
• Liaising with external accountant as required for company matters.
• qualified accountant or tax advisor with commercial experience
• significant client facing ability
• expertise and proficiency with CT600s, tax computations, company accounts, management accounts, R&D related tax treatments
Career will have included:
Back office financial management
Work on R&D Tax claims (not essential)
Closing Date: Please get in touch asap if you are interested.
This is offered as a permanent, part-time basis on a salary of c.£70K pro rata and they are seeking someone for 4 days per week. Home-based - therefore will require suitable environment. Consideration will be given if office space needs to be rented. A laptop and mobile will be supplied. Occasional travel to registered office for internal meetings in Bedfordshire MK45.
Standard hours are 9am-5.30pm (37.5 hour week) although happy to operate a flexi time - caveat - must always be responsive to communications and incoming work.
6 month probation period.
Car essential - driving paid @ 45p a mile (up to 10,000 miles in a tax year - mileage above 10k paid at 25p pm.) However, client site visits not often and on average this is likely to be 1-3 site visits per month. All reasonable travel, sustenance and hotels reimbursed.
1. Uncapped bonus based on company performance - calculated on turnover (2% of turnover above £1m), likely to be approximately £10-20k depending on performance of wider business and your own input.
2. Bonus for sales work - should you source a lead - 10% fee share for first claim (up to 2 claims)
Please note - the role is not a sales role, and winning work is not a requirement.
Holiday is 28 days plus bank holidays pro rata.