Group Operations Director
This is an outstanding opportunity to join, and become an instrumental part of the future of one of the country’s most exciting and innovative young Property groups.
Less than 5 years after inception, they are quickly cementing their position as one of the most entrepreneurial and forward-thinking property businesses in the market.
Differentiating themselves from other operators in the market with a unique mix of vertically integrated businesses along with a clear vision on where the business is heading, they are able to offer a unique product suite to their customer base covering development, lettings, property management, tax advisory, peer-to-peer lending solutions and general investment products.
Their innovative proposition has won them recognition and a national reputation. Unprecedented achievements, growth along with a strong media presence sets this solution-led, ground-breaking business apart from their competitors. Formed through the marriage of several smaller, successful business, the Group now finds itself with the need to scale and grow.
With exponential, continued demand for their services and increased capability in their product and service portfolio, their future is even more impressive than their still brief history. Their current £5m turnover is expected to double in the next 12 months and grow exponentially beyond that.
A critical element to continuing and increasing that growth and success is to formalize the executive leadership team; a key element of which is the recruitment of a highly commercial Operations Director; an inspirational, highly experienced, service orientated board director, with a track record of growing businesses, bringing class-leading operational, efficiency, innovation and business leadership qualities to further secure a bright and profitable future for this already market leading group.
The role as Operations Director is an outstanding opportunity to not only take a key role in an exciting, market leading, Property Services group, but to be a key part of, and benefit from, the business’s future.
This executive appointee will take full responsibility for the day-to-day operational management, short/medium/long-term planning and continually improving efficiencies across the Group, possessing the ability to measure and deliver more effectively, and commercially. They will be tasked with embedding a KPI-driven culture of operational excellence and efficiency, with consistent and robust processes in use across all areas of the business as well as developing the operational structure and service delivery of this impressive business as it faces a period of significant growth. Managing that growth, driving that growth and being a voice of experience and authority to the entire business, including the two entrepreneurial owners, will be critical.
Relationships across the business will be at the centre of this role, as will ensuring the delivery and efficient running of the company as they continue up their impressive exponential growth curve. This still young, still lithe and still ‘maverick’ business is dominated by the strength of its team. As the team numbers grow towards 50, the leadership of that team, it’s performance and quality of output is key to the business’s future, ongoing success.
People are key within this business. The business, it’s leadership team and the workforce as a whole is without ego. Driving the delivery of shared objectives whilst fueling ambition is at the core of their culture.
The business has extremely strong capabilities in sales, commercial leadership and marketing. Their increasing area of weakness is within the operational leadership and management.
This is a pivotal role, ensuring structural rigidity across all group businesses, and the group as a whole. With Operations Managers in each of the 6 group companies, the role as Operations Director is very much about leadership, sitting at Group level, tasked with an overview across all operations, planning and delivery, as the business faces this period of growth; Leadership from an experienced Operations Director who has been through such a phase several times before.
Working with other members of the executive team, the Operations Director will influence, coach and develop processes, procedures and staff to raise the capability and confidence across the business.
- Leading the entire operational team, ensuring all aspects of business delivery is on time and to the highest quality and commercial position
- Taking ownership for the efficiency and effectiveness of all operational and client serving functions within the group. Evolving (and revolutionising) operational planning and management
- Ensure all customer obligations are satisfied – and exceeded
- Improving visibility and simplifying internal procedures to ensure operational excellence and efficiency
- Identifying business and product development opportunities within the current service base
- Using automation and developing technologies to ensure employee productivity is continually improving
- Managing resources, planning, recruiting and training as business needs require
- Working with all teams to ensure operations can be delivered – including disaster recovery and business continuity planning
Primary Year 1 Objectives
- Lead, coach and develop the Operations Managers of each division, enabling them to achieve their individual outcomes.
- Assess current operational processes and efficiency across the business, and present your findings to the CEO along with a 12-month improvement plan by August 2018.
- Oversee the implementation and development of consistent and robust procedures across the whole business by October 2018.
- Oversee the implementation, efficient collection and regular reporting of KPIs across the whole business. Develop and maintain a KPI dashboard for weekly reporting to the rest of the management team by October 2018.
- Take responsibility for the operational and technological aspects of the group’s re-brand, ensuring a smooth transition and greater cross-divisional integration by December 2018.
Candidate profile and chemistry fit is critical for this pivotal role. Working within a fast-paced, innovative, entrepreneurial environment, attitude is as important as experience. The person is everything. The Operations Director will be instrumental in setting the tone, energy and culture for the business.….and in turn design its success. The gravity of success is all about having the right attitude, underpinned with demonstrable experience.
Suitable candidates will already be high achieving, experienced Operations Directors with a track record of success AND success in managing dramatic growth. They will possess a strong ethos in supreme service delivery and a background in creating and managing a culture of success. They will have demonstrable Operational Leadership exposure behind them, but will possess a highly commercial, service delivery and business performance focus, aligned to demonstrable leadership and operational capability.
- Experience. Proven track record of running operationally solid, fast-growing businesses.
- Efficiency. Able to generate significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Aggressiveness. Moves quickly and takes a forceful stand without being overly abrasive.
- Intelligence. Demonstrates ability to quickly understand and absorb new information.
- Analytical skills. Able to structure and process data and draw insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Persistence. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Proactivity. Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Strong communication. Communicates clearly and confidently verbally and in writing, without being overly verbose or talkative.
- Experience of leading at Board level.
- Experience of constructing, driving and delivering organisational change as the business grows.
- Experience of financial and budgetary planning
- Experience of managing service delivery across multiple businesses
- An interest in property, investments, or connected financial services would be a distinct advantage.
- Decision Making
- Strategic Operational Capability
- Change Orientation
- Commercial Acumen
- Ability to manage multiple priorities to ensure timely delivery of all services and products
The appointee will constantly strive for excellence and demonstrate personal drive and resilience, with a mature and experienced approach to both growth, and set-backs. They will be obviously self motivated & able to work on own initiative whilst putting team and company needs before own and possess the ability to think flexibly and laterally.
They will be a model team player, as both leader and member, working with, and where necessary, challenging the other directors for the common good and future performance of the group. Crucially, they will have flexibility and a capacity to adapt to the changing demands of the job.
The successful candidate will have significant entrepreneurial ability and desire, and be hugely excited by a very high paced environment, thick with USPs – their operational leadership strength will be underpinned by a real “Just Do It” attitude and a sense of humour.