Strategy Manager, Open Research
Our Open Research Group brings together Springer Nature’s fully open access journals, open books and open data initiatives.
We are now looking for a data driven Strategy Manager to support the open research business. You will work on strategic business projects to identify opportunities for development and optimisation. The remit of this position will see you conducting valuable analysis, working with the management team in the implementation of your recommendations and monitoring performance thereafter. This is an important role in supporting informed decision making and facilitating change.
Please see a detailed breakdown of the responsibilities below:
Analytics and recommendations on key business projects
- Analytical investigation of strategic business projects in order to identify opportunities for development and optimisation, using a range of problem-solving techniques
- Make recommendation on measureable developments to the business and commercial improvements
- Working with senior management and wider team members to implement recommendations which have impact and create value, influencing a range of stakeholders.
- Example projects might include optimisation of journal cascade/ transfers, cost review, assessment of regional performance and opportunities
Monitor and consult
- Assess various areas of business performance and proactively identify challenging areas and their potential impact on business performance
- Guide senior team into identifying solutions and kick-off relevant projects to implement these
Working with other central teams in this area, add to our ongoing understanding of the relevant external market place with analytics and reporting on areas including:
- Market growth and drivers
- Competitor activity
- Customer behaviour and requirements
Business cases and presentations/ story-telling
- Contribute to the preparation of presentations for both internal and external purposes. Will include but not limited to:
- the preparation of management information and insights for regular Executive Committee & budgeting meetings
- Preparation of business case presentations
- Support in coordination of annual forecasting process and budget process and outcomes
- Ad-hoc analysis and project based work alongside the MD
- Contribute to the ORG business as required
This role would be suitable for an individual with data manipulation, data visualisation, and proven statistical analysis skills. You’ll come from a commercial background in analytics within a business that’s seen significant growth and/or change. You'll be a keen and versatile learner, with a pro-active approach.
Other skills and experiences required are:
- Strong writing and communication skills alongside the ability to create memorable, clear, and influential presentations (leveraging tools and creativity to maximum effect)
- Problem solving and intellectual curiosity, and a real desire to find better answers to difficult problems
- Strong project management and organisational skills particularly across a multidivisional organisation
- Excellent financial skills, ability to forecast, budget and monitor growth
- Proven ability to meet targets and deadlines
- Keen interest & understanding of market developments in open access publishing, from both business & customer perspectives
Deadline for receipt of applications is Sunday 25th February 2018.