Temporary Head of Product (Maternity Cover)
The Head of Product, Maternity Cover, will lead a team to the support growth and transformation of our journals business through our journals platform. They will have in-depth knowledge of academic publishing and the changing shape of the industry, digital product development and the latest technologies, and use this insight to drive the strategic direction of our journals technology. The successful candidate will also make a significant contribution as a lead within our Product Management Department and play a key role in driving innovation initatives across our product portfolio.
The position involves frequent interaction with senior stakeholders and external vendors, requiring an exceptional communicator with astute business acumen.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Motivate and lead a team of flourishing product managers to excel in their objectives and achieve overall team goals for 2018. You will foster a culture of innovation within the group and create space for team members to engage with emerging technologies
- Strongly represent and advocate the Product Management Department and SAGE Journals in Department Managers meetings and Global Steering Committees
- Oversee delivery against current strategic objectives to maintain an industry competitive platform, ensuring the changing needs of our business, customers, societies and end users are balanced
- Lead on project to evolve our long-term product strategy and associated delivery plan
- Actively engage in industry conferences and initiatives to feed into strategic direction of SAGE Journals
- Drive new product initiatives that span our diverse suite of products
- Drive efficiencies through our processes wherever possible, introducing new techniques and practices where appropriate
- Support efforts to entrench UX best practices within our organisation, driving value for both our customers and user base.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree required; additional education beneficial
- 5+ year product management experience, including at a senior level
- Working knowledge of academic publishing
- Experience with using agile and lean methodologies desirable, ideally with co-located teams
- Accustomed with presenting and influencing at senior level
- Experience managing strategy, roadmaps and budgets for existing products and new product streams
- Line management
- Strong understanding of user-centred design
LANGUAGE, ANALYTICAL SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS
- Proven skills in organization, time management, and efficient execution of tasks
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Successful track record of team- and relationship-building
- Professional, enthusiastic and positive approach to work
- Proactive, creative and logical thinker
- Passion for innovation and the latest tech trends
Ability to speak, write, listen, and work at a computer. No repetitive tasks required.