Design Manager - Architect
Based on a live construction site in London, the Design Manager will report to the Programme Director and will have design management responsibilities across a high profile project
This is an initial 18 month post, with possibility of extension or permanency.
Your role will be part of a team to manage a comprehensive refurbishment of a number of significant historic buildings Westminster. The Programme plans to refurbish a site to a medium level of intervention in this high public profile site.
The Programme also has significant interdependencies with other major programmes in the local area and carries some substantial risks that will require close management. The Programme will deliver the building refurbishments to Level 2 BIM using the NEC3 suite of contracts.
The main purpose of this proactive role is to take a design management role for the project, co-ordinate and integrate the activities of the Programme's external design consultants, assist on pre-construction activities, tender opportunities and to control and interrogate the activities of external design consultants. Working and reporting to the Programme Director and Senior Project Leader on the project. The project is currently working on a RIBA Stage 2 which it will conclude by the end of Q2 2018.
Your duties will consist of:
- Manage the design process for all RIBA stages via external design consultants
- Drive innovative, safe and cost effective solutions through value management activities at each stage completion into the proposed design
- Progress design issues within a strict timescale & ensure the design consultants meet information delivery dates
- Ensure, verify & control status of consultants and subcontractors drawings and specifications & registers
- Ensure the consultant contract scope of services are delivered and maintained
- Manage the milestone design review processes within the NEP and stakeholder teams to ensure progression to both OBC and FBC stages
- Ensure programme, project and stakeholder team(s) understand drawings and technical specifications
- Monitor, report and manage any brief changes with stakeholders and teams and communicate design process and progress to senior management teams and others as required
- Manage the benchmarking of design proposals for quality and value for money
- Ensure design risk assessments are carried out and residual risk is transferred
- Maintain a good relationship with the Strategic Estates Architecture & Heritage department and Design Authority to ensure Parliamentary Standards are maintained
- Coordinate with other key interdependent programmes and projects such as the Palace of Westminster Renewal & Refurbishment (R&R) programme and Temporary Accommodation project
- Where required, assist in procurement tender review process or cost verification
To be eligible for this role you will need the following skills, qualifications and experience:
- Previous experience of managing design on large / complex Programmes in construction
- Excellent knowledge of value creation
- Proven experience of delivering weekly and monthly reports across various stages of the programme/ project lifecycle
- Proven experience of delivering innovative, safe and cost effective solutions into the design for historic buildings
- Good understanding of public procurement processes including negotiation with third parties, successful contract management and risk management
- Experience of ensuring the design process recognises current legislation, standards and codes of practice
- Proven experience of delivering design solutions and significant stakeholder engagement within a complex stakeholder environment
For more information please click APPLY