Assistant Operational Accountant
Assistant Operational Accountant
Reporting to - London Finance Manager
Location - Crawley
Department - Finance
Reference Number - 40062
Employment Period - Permanent
Bonus - 5%
Salary Range - £24,000 - £28,000 (Depending on Skills and Experience)
Closing Date - 25th February 2018
We also offer :
Annual leave 25 days
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 3%, 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 6%, 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
UK Power Networks is one of Britain’s largest power networks, responsible for delivering electricity to 18 million customers in London, the South East and the East of England.
UK Power Networks are a Distribution Network Operator (“DNO”) operating and maintaining the networks that deliver power, using 140,000 kilometres of underground cables, 46,000km of overhead lines, and 130,000 substations. We serve an area of 29,250 square kilometres, from Cromer in the East of England to Brighton on the South Coast.
UK Power Networks is owned by the Cheung Kong Infrastructure group (CKI), which has extensive experience of operating regulated infrastructure operations around the world. The Group has diversified investments in Energy Infrastructure, Transportation Infrastructure, Water Infrastructure, Waste Management, Waste-to-energy and Infrastructure Related Businesses. Its investments and operations span Hong Kong, Mainland China, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, the United States and Canada. In the UK it has stakes in Southern Water, Northumbrian Water, Wales & West Utilities, Seabank Power, Northern Gas Networks and UK Rail.
Our people are central to our business and we recognise the need to be able to attract, recruit and retain high performing employees with the potential, skills and experience necessary for the continued growth of our organisation.
Reporting to the Finance Manager within the Network Operations directorate, you will be supporting the Operational Accountant to ensure the integrity of management, statutory and regulatory reporting data, used by the business to drive operational performance and decision making in accordance with our strategic ED1 business plan.
The role is focused around our Inspection & Maintenance activities, for which Network Operations has an annual Inspection & Maintenance budget of approximately £37m, across our 3 DNO’s. Additionally, the role supports our London Operational business, which has a total operating budget of approximately £70m.
This is a professional role which includes liaising throughout the business and involves communicating with non-financial managers. You will be expected to have excellent communication skills and a professional attitude to work and those you deal with.
The position will be based in Crawley, however, the role may involve travel to other locations in London, the South East and East of England.
A study package is available to the successful candidate.
Nature and Scope:
This is a professional role liaising across the business, communicating with Senior Managers and non-financial managers. You will be expected to have excellent communication skills and a professional attitude to your work and those you deal with.
This position is within the Operational Finance team which supports the activities of our Network Operations directorate, with a particular focus on Inspection and Maintenance activities across our 3 DNO’s. The post will be based at Crawley, reporting to the London Finance Manager. The role may involve travel to other operational locations of the business.
- Production of accurate and timely monthly management accounts ensuring that these are compliant with both Internal Policies and Procedures and the relevant Regulatory guidelines.
- Create and input month end journals as required.
- Ensuring that key controls are reconciled and maintained to support the integrity of data, investigating and resolving any issues in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist in driving best in class improvements to the process of producing monthly financial reports, actively supporting continuous improvement of costs and volumes to allow cross DNO unit cost benchmarking, understand the reasons for variances and work with the business to improve efficiency.
- Provide, as and when required, Network Operations and UK Power Networks, with timely, concise, accurate and informed information to support decision making.
- Identify opportunities for improvement, areas of concern and recommend courses of action.
- Support the responsibilities of the Analyst within the team.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- Part qualified accountant or looking to embark on accountancy study
- Proven track record of delivering results
- A current valid UK driving license, with access to a vehicle
- Highly numerate with a strong commercial aptitude
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Ability to work effectively, autonomously and proactively on your own initiative, without close supervision
- Ability to plan and manage your own time effectively
- Ability to embrace the company’s culture and values
- High level of business and personal integrity
- Energetic and resilient personality
- Practical, hands on, and results orientated outlook
- Work on your own initiative to agreed thresholds and deadlines
- Enthusiastic individual with the ability to work well as part of a team and as an individual
- Ability and willingness to travel across the geographical areas of UK Power Networks
- Capable of manipulating large quantities of data
- Advanced user of Excel
- Enjoys an environment which is fast paced and ever changing
- Previous experience within the utility sector is desirable but not essential
- SAP accounting software experience
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt, ask!
This job was originally posted as www.cityjobs.com/job/960128410