Purpose of the Role
The Quality Manager is tasked with managing Quality, Safety, Environmental initiatives within the factory to promote and enhance the business' offering to its customers whilst supporting and maintaining business growth in a manner that is compliant and sustainable whilst reflecting the highest standards of regulatory compliance.
The post holder will:
- Lead a team comprising Quality team and a Health & Safety Officer
- Provide leadership for the business regarding manufactured and assembled product Quality ensuring the continuous improvement of all processes across the company.
- Have the key responsibility for developing and implementing the business' Quality Management Strategy and plans through quality policies, processes and practices.
- Develop the long and short term vision for cost and productivity improvements and make sure they are in line with company objectives.
- Ensure that all deadlines are planned for and met in respect of Auditing programmes in line with Quality systems. This will require effective team working with the functional departments and detailed knowledge of Company-wide metrics and the reporting requirements of each.
Areas of Responsibility:
1. Management of factory Quality Function. Ownership of internal audit process to assure effectiveness of Quality Assurance Systems
- Ensure that Quality Assurance documentation system provides organisation with up to date information.
2. Lead activities relating to Product Quality in manufactured and assembled operations.
- Effectively resolve day to day Quality issues that arise in manufacturing in order to improve Quality and Customer Satisfaction through on time deliveries.
- Monitor the incoming inspection to assure the quality of incoming goods.
3. Continuous improvement of Quality processes and initiatives.
- Provision of Quality data as appropriate to measure operations and implement recommendations in order to improve quality processes and achieve long term quality improvements.
- Maintain a trained workforce that is comfortable in the use of statistical process control and problem solving techniques in order to raise overall level of quality.
- Oversee complex PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, Act) workshops.
4. Drive Customer Quality and reduce internal scrap and customer returns.
- Manage Process improvement activities in order to improve the product quality and yield of manufacturing processes.
- Efficiently process and report back in response to customer concerns in order to determine root cause then plan and implement corrective and preventative actions.
5. Develop short and longer term vision for the site quality.
- Local leadership of Quality projects.
- Facilitates timely and effective auditing programme of the the business' Quality Standards.
Health and Safety and Environmental
- Has lead responsibility for
- the company’s compliance with current and forthcoming Health and Safety legislation - including accident reporting, Fire Regulations and COSHH.
- accreditation to all relevant industry standards & ensuring compliance to Environmental legislation - including ISO14001
- Implements and monitors the company’s Health and Safety & Environmental Policy across the organisation, by ensuring that
- direct support and leadership of the Health, Safety & Environmental requirements to all departments in provided in a timely and efficient manner.
- training needs for employees are met to maintain safe systems.
- audits to evaluate the effectiveness of Health and Safety systems and procedures, identify and implement improvements are conducted regularly and consistently.
- Investigate and to assist others to investigate the circumstances and causes of accidents are properly investigated and findings used as a basis for action to prevent a recurrence.
Skills & Experience required for the role:
- A degree or equivalent in an Engineering/Manufacturing discipline
- Extensive and thorough experience in a similar quality role within a manufacturing environment
- Extensive hands-on experience of quality management systems and quality techniques and/or methodologies
- Knowledge of quality standards and requirements
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills - characteristic of an inclusive but effective leadership style.
- The drive and determination to deliver top quality products and a service to be proud of.
An analytical and methodical approach, there must a keen eye for detail and thorough but innovative problem solving ability.