Junior DBA - MySQL Server, Linux - Bristol - great opportunities
Our client have a new office in Bristol and as well as a team of developers are looking for a junior DBA to join the expanding team so a fantastic opportunity to be in at the start but with big company support of an established expanding business.....
This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and exciting department in an expanding , award winning business . They have retail shops / trade counters , warehouses spanning the UK and Netherlands and throughout Europe and beyond with lots more plans in action for future growth
They have grown from a startup with a couple of people in 2003 to employing over 2500 in 2017.
From an IT perspective they are unique. All the software that runs the company is developed and maintained in-house. Using open-source technologies, everything from their consumer website, shop tills, to warehouse stock control has been created from the ground up. The IT team currently totals 25 people spanning software development, system administration and technical support.
• Installation and configuration of database servers across two data centres and in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
• Monitoring an estate of 50+ database servers using 3rd party and in-house tools.
• Assist with maintenance of high level of performance, integrity and security and with continual upgrade path.
• Assist with capacity planning – server and AWS instance sizing.
• Schema changes and user administration.
• Backups – archiving and recovery procedures.
• Identifying, investigating and resolving database performance issues.
• Liaising with the development team on maintenance of development environment – daily snapshots, data sanitization, code reviews etc.
• Writing and updating documentation.
• Assist with migration programme moving physical DB instances into AWS.
• 2 years+ knowledge and experience of MySQL Server 5.5 – 5.7
• 2 years+ knowledge of the Linux operating system (especially Ubuntu LTS 14.04 & 16.04)
• Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
Any of the following a benefit:
• Knowledge and/or experience of MySQL database architecture and design, replication, clustering, and high availability.
• Knowledge and experience of InnoDB.
• Knowledge and experience of performance tuning – Queries, indexes, server variables.
• Knowledge and experience in proxy technologies – ProxySQL, Tungsten.
• Linux scripting.
• NoSQL technologies – ElasticSearch, Redis, CouchBase, Mongo DB.
• Percona server
• Percona toolkit
• Solarwinds DPA
• Hexatier (formerly GreenSQL)
• RDS (AWS)
• HP ProLiant DL/BL series
They are one of Britain’s fastest growing suppliers of tools, accessories and building supplies to the trade, home improvers and self-builders. With a multi-channel offering, they can buy online, through a dedicated UK call centre, via a mobile website or at one of 280 branches across the UK. We are currently opening 3-4 branches a month.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/79961556