Database Administrator DBA
Your new company
Hays IT is recruiting for a Database Administrator (DBA) to work on a permanent basis in Par, Cornwall. My client is the world leader in their sector and they're looking for an experienced Database Administrator to support the hardware, operating systems and application software hosted in their Data Centres. You will be ensuring the security, integrity, high availability and optimal performance of the company's systems. In addition, you will be creating, monitoring, managing and applying release patches and maintaining the central databases, such as Qualoupe, IFS and Data Warehouse.
Your new role
- Maintaining the operating system software (e.g. Oracle Enterprise Linux, Windows Server, Citrix, SAP Business Objects)
- Maintaining Data Centre database software (e.g. Oracle and SQL Server), ERP (e.g. IFS) and other business application software.
- Ensuring a stable platform for the company's systems and data including liaising with the suppliers of these systems with regards to upgrades, fixes and user queries.
- Monitoring hardware, application and database performance, then analysing the results and make appropriate changes to ensure the high availability of business critical systems with minimal downtime and business disruption.
- Establishing, monitoring and maintaining all backup securities on the central data (including off-site storage) to ensure minimal loss of data in the event of hardware/system failure. This includes the preparation and maintenance of a Disaster Recovery manual and associated procedures with regular tests being carried out and documented.
- Establishing, monitoring and maintaining security procedures for data/system access within the Central Systems environment to ensure the integrity of the data is maintained at all times.
- Liaising with user representatives and other members of IT to implement new systems or modifications in a timely manner with minimal disruption to the business.
- Participating in project teams as a technical support specialist as necessary to ensure that current systems knowledge is included in the decision making process.
What you'll need to succeed
- No formal qualifications necessary but the skillset required can often be found in graduates or equivalent who have several years of IT experience in a Data Centre technical support role.
- This role requires a methodical approach and a logical outlook together with meticulous attention to detail.
- Recognised and current Microsoft Accreditation or relevant IT experience with a technical knowledge of AD networking, protocols, antivirus, operating system configuration.
- Good general knowledge of IT development environments and a Technical understanding, ideally of IFS and SAP Business objects.
- Logical and analytical approach to troubleshooting and solving problems, mature attitude, courteous, self-confident, motivated, ability to work unsupervised and under pressure with meticulous attention to detail with a sense of responsibility and urgency when communicating with others.
- Monitor and test fixes to ensure problems have been adequately resolved, perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Administer Corporate IT accounts and the IFS system
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved and develop and publish onto intranet FAQ's for end users.
- You'll have a flexible approach to working hours and participation in the "Out-Of-Hours On-Call" Rota.
- Some travel is involved; a full UK Driving Licence is required for this role.
What you'll get in return
- Generous salary, working for a world leader.
- Full time, permanent role.
- Up to £40,000 per annum (depending on experience)
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this Database Administrator (DBA) role in Par, Cornwall, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this Database Administrator (DBA) role in Par, Cornwall, isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.