Our client is the largest private pension scheme in the UK and in the top 50 globally, with assets of approximately £60 billion (as at March 2017). As the principal pension scheme for universities and other higher education institutions in the UK, it now has more than 390,000 members across more than 350 employers responsible for the management and administration of the pension scheme and its investments.
Responsible for the investment accounting reporting and valuation assurance of the organisation's investment portfolio including securities and derivatives as well as the private market assets.
- Ensure that valuation assurance and investment accounting is complete and accurate for the investment portfolio, that the scheme books and records accurately reflect investment transactions and balances, maintain the control assurance framework in accordance with policy and best practices and formulate recommendations where optionality exists.
- Ensure that investment accounting responsibilities on the defined contribution section of the scheme are completed on an accurate and timely basis.
- Manage the financial and business change implications of investment decisions including valuation policy, product changes and new vehicle diversification. For private market deals, provide transaction support and input to potential investment structures ensuring a coordinated approach and business focused response to key product changes and consultations.
- Champion investment accounting developments and process improvements that enhance the reporting and information flows with Finance seen as a key business partner.
- Provide challenge and support to senior management ensuring investment valuation, pricing verification and investment reporting is fit for purpose to enable decision making and support the effective operation of relevant committees.
- Key stakeholder management, establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally, contributing subject matter expertise in organisational development and product evaluation.
- Deliver timely investment reporting for the business, ensuring financial control and integrity. Prepare disclosures and information for inclusion in the annual financial statements.
- All investments are valued in accordance with policy and accounted for appropriately.
- Appropriate control and oversight exists over the investment accounting and reporting of private market assets including relevant SPVs, PE/hedge fund assets. Successful private market deal support demonstrated.
- Regular and effective communication with team members, especially in the effective management and development of the work performed by the team.
Excellent level of understanding of the business and business operations with clear information flows and key processes documented and control risks identified, documented and mitigated effectively.
Contributor to organisational discussion forums and decision making bodies and seen as valued SME by the business.
- Network of organisational contacts developed.
Appropriate management of 3rd party service providers in line with the companies commercial objectives
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Holds a professional finance & accounting qualification
- Excellent product knowledge of investments generally, investment vehicles, valuation methods, pricing risk and fee structures.
- Knowledge and experience of financial systems, accounting processes and controls
- Excellent business and commercial acumen with strategic thinking capability
- A credible finance professional capable of representing the organisation and its commercial interests
- Strong customer service background with service improvement focus and drive change in practice or behaviours
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation's ethos and values