Senior Advocate (Legal) Brent council
- To actively support the management of the department.
- To provide high level and proactive expert legal advice to the Council, its members and officers and to be a point of contact for members and senior officers on all legal matters.
- To attend court or tribunals or public inquiries as a Senior Advocate and in particular, conduct high quality advocacy in the High Court, Family Court, Coroners Court, Crown Court and Magistrate Court, including all hearings up to trial and appeals and including complex hearings.
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Make a positive contribution to the delivery of the service, this will include working flexibly and positively to achieve the objectives of the Council.
- Assist in managing and leading staff to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, including developing and improving staff capability.
- Assist in managing a customer focused service and the effective use of resources.
- Ensure that the council’s overall vision, values and ethos are central to the requirements of the service.
- Support effective working relationships and act as an ambassador and senior advocate with external organisations.
- Keep up to date with developments in service delivery and best practice to ensure the service performs effectively and to the highest standards.
- To provide high level specialist and proactive legal advice to the Council, it’s Cabinet, Committee members and senior officers and other external clients on all issues arising.
- To advise on the Council's powers and it's decision making process and ensure the legality of its decision making.
- To consider and give advice on committee and other similar reports and to attend committee.
- To deal with corporate complaints and Member enquiries.
- To provide high level input to the Council’s policies and help develop and implement the Corporate Strategy and the performance framework alongside the Council’s policies strategies and targets.
- To deal with complex individual casework and conduct litigation arising in the area of responsibility, undertaking advocacy as may be required.
- To contribute and assist towards the running of Legal Services as required and to provide general supervision guidance and training to lawyers within the team.
- To provide cover as necessary for other areas within the team or within Legal Services as a whole, including advising on information governance law.
- To keep up to date with changes in the law and other developments in this area of work, and to advise on any action to be taken as a result, and to provide training to clients or members of the team.
- To take a lead in developing policy and good practice in the post holder’s area of responsibility.
- Carry out duties with due regard to the council’s customer care, equal opportunities, information governance, data protection and health and safety policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post.
Job Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Specify the qualifications, experience, skills and abilities required.
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Qualification as Solicitor, Barrister or Filex
- Qualification of Higher Rights of Audience
- Evidence of significant relevant Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Full understanding of risk management in the context of corporate governance
- Detailed knowledge of relevant area of law.
- Detailed knowledge of circumstances currently affecting local authorities including the Family Justice Review, Equalities Act 2010 and the Human Rights Act 1998.
- Experience of attending court as Senior advocate (Higher Rights of Audience) in the Magistrates Court, Single Family Court and Crown Court, including all hearings up to trial.
- A track record of achievement in conducting high level and complex casework, including high risk cases.
- Experience of dealing with complex cases in area of expertise.
- Experience of providing advice to members of a Council/ Board Members on legal issues both in public meetings, through presentation briefing reports etc.
- Experience of contributing to corporate decision making and development of corporate policy and strategy.