Principal Accountant (Technical and Financial Accounting)
To provide an effective financial accounting service in accordance with relevant statutory requirements and the policies and proper expectations of the Head of Finance and the company.
Dimensions of Job:
Manage and undertake the preparation of the statements of accounts for the company, ensuring that statutory and audit requirements are fully met.
Account for capital ensuring effective financing and accounting for capital expenditure.
As required, play a role in the formation of budgets and forecasts, both revenue and capital, working closely with service managers, senior officers and members in this regard.
Ensure that regular, accurate financial management information is available to managers and to inform the member decision making process.
Key Responsibilities / Specific Duties:
• To support the finance team by providing flexible and responsive cover for team members involved in the implementation of a new financial system.
• To be responsible for the planning and preparation of annual statement of accounts, summary accounts and supporting information, in co-operation with services and finance staff and in accordance with relevant Codes of Practice.
• To liaise as required with the company's external auditors to provide additional information and explanations to enable agreement on accounting treatments.
• To be responsible for capital accounting, providing specialist knowledge to ensure effective financing and accounting for capital expenditure.
• To support the Principal Accountant (Financial and Systems) as required.
• To provide reports and financial advice to officers and members of the Company.
• To provide financial advice and support in relation to new and proposed legislation or accounting arrangements and in relation to service proposals and developments.
• To provide financial advice and support to other service delivery bodies (partnerships, shared services, subsidiaries etc) in which the company is involved.
• To prepare major cross-service statutory and other returns.
• Carry out any other duties as required by your line manager from time to time in accordance with the grading of the post.
• Ability to develop effective partnerships.
• Customer focussed and committed to delivering high quality financial support services.
• Accountable for own decision making.
• Awareness of the need for, and ability to respond promptly and positively to, change in policy and service requirement.
• Ability to communicate and interpret complex and technical financial information clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrable influencing and negotiating skills.
• Fully qualified CCAB accountant or equivalent qualification
• Providing customer focussed services
• Experience of working in a finance and accounting role in a complex organisation to include applying accounting standards to a high level and completion of statutory accounts.
• Experienced in dealing with external audit queries.
• Experience in accounting for non-current assets in a local authority, including Housing Revenue account dwellings and commissioning and liaising with external valour's.
• Experience of writing clear reports and ability to present these to various audiences.
• Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and accounting practice
• Knowledge of project working
• Actively listens to and responds to customers sensitively and appropriately.
• Ability to manage and develop staff.
• Able to deal effectively with performance, conduct and absence issues.
• Able to influence others to achieve service outcomes.
• Able to inspire trust, confidence, respect and credibility from a range of people.
• Able to solve problems creatively to achieve service outcomes.
• Ability to deal with change and support new ways of working.
• Communicates in an effective and respectful manner.
• Awareness and understanding of diversity issues.
• Demonstrates personal responsibility for decisions and actions and the consequences of these.
• Good time management, able to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
• Capable of using the key elements of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) to a high level.
• Capable of using a large financial management system and related reporting software.
• Must be able to organise own workload and will be accountable to exercise professional judgement.
• Ability to recognise the need to maintain confidentiality, particularly when handling confidential, sensitive or personal financial information.
• CIPFA qualified with evidence of continuing professional development
• Experience of working in a finance and accounting role in a local authority and completion of central government accounting returns and capital financing.
• Experienced in accounting for non-current assets, including project delivery, monitoring, and reporting, revaluations and maintaining an asset register.
• Capable of completing and presenting