Senior Tax Manager
Senior Tax Manager - Bucks/Greater London Borders
Our Client - a Top 20 Accountancy Practice is recruiting a Senior Tax Manager to enhance and assist with the planning the departmental workloads - also in conjunction with the Head of Office, to ensure sufficient resources are available to meet the varying demands of all clients and partners.
Their portfolio consists of a mixture of private clients, high net worth individuals, landed estates, onshore, offshore trusts, professional partnerships together with owner managed businesses and UK subsidiaries of overseas holding companies.
Management of the direct tax compliance responsibilities for the client portfolio and department including:
- Identification of tax planning opportunities, covering income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax for individuals and corporate tax planning for companies.
- Liaising extensively with clients in relation to day-to-day compliance and planning issues and opportunities.
- Ensuring technical competence and accuracy of the department’s work through review.
- Adherence to statutory and other deadlines.
- Meeting billing targets.
- Monitoring time and recovery for the Group.
- Reporting back to partners, the department provides support to the resident partners and partners in the London office.
- Identification of training requirements for own professional development in addition to team members and attending training courses as required.
- Monitoring response times to clients and partners to ensure excellent standards of service are provided.
Staff Management / Team Responsibility:
This will include recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, coaching, mentoring, development and performance management, as well as reviewing and solving technical problems raised by the team.
The individual should have strong organisational and problem-solving skills and have the ability to manage, develop and motivate staff. Technical skills are obviously important, but this position also requires resilience and a team orientated and flexible personality. The ability to use their own initiative is essential. The role requires strong communications skills and the ability to relay technical information to clients in a straight forward manner. In addition, they should possess the confidence and professionalism to establish credibility at all levels, be commercially minded and have a clear perception of client requirements.
The individual must also be able to market his/her skills and those of the firm, both on a one-to-one basis and in presentations.
Education & Experience
Candidates will be ACA/ACCA or CTA qualified or both. Relevant experience in a general practice firm of a similar size would be ideal. The individual must have dealt with a range of tax issues appropriate to our client base of private and corporate clients. They should have relevant experience at Senior Manager level dealing with all aspects of income, capital gains and inheritance taxes, both at compliance and planning levels and at the tax issues of private companies both from the point of view of the company structure, and that of their owners.
Previous experience of using computerised tax packages is essential.
The Buckinghamshire office is situated close to a train station, in a modern friendly office which currently has 2 Partners, 1 Director and 20 members of staff.
The Buckinghamshire Office Tax department currently comprises - 1 x Senior Manager, 1 x Manager, 2 x Assistant Managers and 1 x Semi-Senior. They plan to recruit a Tax Trainee this year also.
The Buckinghamshire office advises businesses ranging from subsidiaries of overseas holding companies and large corporate groups of companies to small family companies. In addition to commercial companies in service/manufacturing industries, they also deal with professional partnerships, landed estates, financial service companies, sports and entertainment businesses, entrepreneurs, and not for profit organisations and charities. In Personal Tax, they deal with high net worth individuals and families, family trusts, onshore and offshore trusts.
Their aim is to provide outstanding service in a professional and efficient manner tailored to give the client the benefit of exceptional advice and maximum added value.
Their one firm culture means that partners and staff work as a team, drawing on specialist experience from the office in Buckinghamshire and elsewhere throughout the UK.
The individual will report to the Head of Office and will also work directly with the client partners.
Salary & Benefits
- Annual salary (market rate) dependant on experience.
- Salary reviewed annually in October.
- Eligibility for the Senior Management Bonus Scheme.
- Group Personal Pension Scheme: under the requirements of pension auto-enrolment you will be automatically enrolled into the Group Personal Pension Scheme (5% employer contribution, 5% employee contribution).
- 25 days annual leave increasing to 26 days after 5 years service. Additionally, under the Reward Centre Flexible Benefits Scheme - employees are entitled to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday per year, subject to partner approval.
- Life assurance cover at 4 times annual salary.
- Company car to the value of c. £19,000 or car allowance of £5,000.
- Eligibility for the firm’s PMI scheme upon completion of probationary period.
- Eligibility for the firm’s Profit Sharing Plan that runs from October to September each year. The scheme enables staff to share in the profits of the firm.
- Interest free season ticket loan on completion of probationary period.
Access to a number of other benefits with preferential rates under the flexible benefits scheme to include; health screening/GP support, childcare vouchers, critical illness cover, cycle to work scheme and private medical insurance.