CFD Analysis Engineer
Job Description For Vacancy No: 238069L
Consultant: Lewis Cross
Company Profile: Our client is a world-class provider of engineering, technology, project innovation and strategy for the global automotive, transport, defence and energy industries. With a century of delivering value, they employ over 2,500 professional consultants, engineers and staff world-wide.
Job Location: West Midlands
Job Position: CFD Analysis Engineer
Job Status: Permanent
Job Description: An opportunity exists within the Analysis Capability Group for a CFD Analysis Engineer to deliver on-going client projects supporting a number of design and development programmes. The role involves managing the targeted use of CAE tools and testing work to provide thermal management solutions to clients. The candidate can expect to participate in a wide range of projects across many vehicle types and market sectors. The role will encompass all project types, from conventional combustion engine through to pure electric powertrains and vehicle thermal management. The solutions proposed guide the clients' product development and enable the interaction between different components/ technologies to be understood, whilst maintaining performance and cost targets.
* The candidates would typically be graduate mechanical or aero-thermal engineers with experience of simulation and/or thermal testing at an OEM or Tier 1. An understanding of a broad range of cooling systems and thermal management technologies, including hybrid and electrical powertrains and vehicles, at both theoretical and practical level is essential.
* A sound knowledge of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics theory.
* At least a basic understanding of how internal combustion engines work.
* Experience with 3D CFD codes like StarCD / Star CCM+, Fluent or VECTIS.
* Experience using 1D flow and thermal analysis tools (e. g., Flowmaster, AMESim, GT Suite) would be an advantage.
* Prior experience with alternative powertrains and vehicles (hybrids, fully electrical) is a plus.
* Demonstrated experience working with cross functional teams.
* Knowledge of MS Excel and the MS office suite (including some coding in Visual Basic) is also an asset.
Responsibilities: A CFD Analysis Engineer is required to carry out a range of analysis tasks which include but are not limited to:
* Air and liquid cooling of the engines, including also thermal analysis of engines and parts.
* Coolant and lubrication circuit analyses of various types of engines, including on and off-highway applications as well as large engines.
* Cooling assessment of battery modules, e-motors and e-drives.
* 3D thermal analyses (Conjugate heat transfer) of power electronics, e-machines and battery systems.
* 3D CFD assessment of vehicle cooling (underbonnet analysis) for all conventional, hybrid and electric vehicles.
* The CFD Analysis Engineer will be responsible for delivery of engineering solutions in line with project timescales and budgets as well as liaison with team members and customers in the achievement of targets.
Working in conjunction with engineers across our client's locations around the world, you will perform the following tasks:
* To work on engineering activities for engines, cooling and thermal systems from prototype through to full series production on client projects.
* Responsible for working closely with a design and development team to assess functionality and performance of the developed systems; discuss and agree on requirements and targets.
* Modelling and analysis of fluid systems using combinations of both 1D and 3D fluid dynamic and thermal analysis tools over a range of technologies across different engine and vehicle types and market sectors.
* This will, along with conventional engines and vehicles, also include battery cooling systems, thermal analyses of electric drives and thermal and cooling assessment of hybrid and electric vehicles.
* Technical reporting; interpretation of results and suggestions for improvements.
* Preparation and maintenance of process documentation associated with the analysis.
* Work to internal and client quality procedures and validation processes.
* Support the development of future products and services; assisting in the development of new techniques.
Salary: £35,000 - £45,000