Trust & Taxation Manager
Shoosmiths - UK Law Firm of the Year Winner at the Legal Week British Legal Awards 2015.
A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve "Gold Standard" Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
Our specialist private client team is experienced in managing and implementing the strategies required to safeguard our clients' personal wealth and business assets. They are renowned for providing the specialist knowledge needed for even the most sensitive of cases.
Our expertise ranges from wills, estate planning and probate matters, inheritance tax and succession planning to legal advice concerning mental capacity issues, dealing with the Court of Protection and charity law matters. In your private affairs doubtless you expect solutions that combine expertise, diligence and imagination to protect your assets and safeguard your wealth.
Thoughtful and informed planning as well as professionally executed strategies are the hallmarks of the service provided by Shoosmiths' Wealth Protection Team. Their proven expertise in protecting assets and safeguarding wealth for high net worth private individuals ranges from advising salaried professionals and high profile business leaders to stars of stage and screen and National Lottery winners.
Shoosmiths are seeking an experienced Trust & Taxation Manager to join our Wealth Protection Team as part of an exciting period of growth.
Please note, this role can be based in any of the following UK offices:
- Milton Keynes
The Trust & Taxation Manager
Main responsibilities will have the following responsibilities:
- Overseeing the day-to-day administration of trusts, including payments, investment of funds, cash flow, management of annual trust accounts, FATCA registration and all HMRC and other necessary compliance.
- Ensuring deadlines are met on tax payments, income tax and inheritance tax returns and income / capital distributions.
- Provision of tax advice relating to trust matters and other estate planning when required.
- Completing and / or managing the preparation and submission of annual tax returns of both in-house and external clients.
- Completing and / or managing the preparation and submission of any necessary inheritance tax returns of both in-house and external clients.
- Giving guidance and advice on all personal tax issues to clients, either directly or via colleagues.
- On occasion, assisting with probate matters relating to tax or trusts including the preparation of estate accounts and estate tax returns.
In addition to the above, the Trust & Taxation Manager will utilise a number of different systems on a day-to-day basis and will also be responsible for identifying improvements to these systems.
Skills and qualifications
- Demonstrable experience of trust accounts and tax return preparation is essential.
- Thorough understanding of general legal and taxation principles of trust administration.
- Knowledge of SRA principles to ensure full compliance is preferable but in house training can be provided.
- To be considered you will have worked in a similar role advising clients with trust and tax matters where you will liaise with intermediaries such as stockbrokers, insurance brokers and land agents.
- As well as having a strong technical background, you should also be confident in client management and have the ability to build relationships easily with both new and existing clients.
Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.