Title: IP Manager
Salary: £50k - £70k
Assets Managed: IP Budget
Reports To: VP Research & Technology
Roles that Report to this Role: IP Research Chemist
Key interfaces (internal and external): Business Managers, Directors, PDE, Patent Agents, Lawyers
This is a specialist chemical company with a global outreach looking for an Intellectual Property Manager. They focus on bringing innovative new technologies to market combined with a fast and responsive service. They have 400 staff in the UK, and a further 1,900 globally.
They provide innovative ground-breaking products, combined with excellent customer service and technical support. Their global scale and local capabilities enable them to remain flexible and dynamic to their customers' changing needs, with a continued focus on quality-driven and responsive service.
Among many of their specialities they are involved in fuel additives, performance chemicals, oil field chemicals, octane additives (leaded petrol). Their R&D is on-site at their Cheshire location.
The reason for this need to hire is the current IP Manager is planning on transitioning out of the business in 12 to 18 months' time. This client need someone to join the business and grow into their role and the company, with the view of ultimately becoming the new Head of IP. Their IP department includes the mentioned IP Manager/Head of IP and an additional IP Research Chemist, they are involved in all aspects of the company's IP. The IP Manager is based in the USA and spends one week a month on-site in the Cheshire HQ.
Role and Main Responsibilities:
- To provide a central focus and resource to manage the Company's IP activities.
- To develop and manage strategic IP management policies, systems and procedures.
- To assist the Business Teams to develop appropriate IP strategies.
- To develop and manage the Company's patent portfolio - This will be handling a large portfolio, while effectively growing this portfolio, acquiring new business and ensuring the current business is looked after correctly.
- To advise on all aspects relating to IP.
- To monitor competitor IP activities.
- To create and maintain a map of the Company's IP portfolio.
- To manage IP disputes.
- To promote, seek and manage cross-licencing opportunities.
- To carry out IP due diligence for potential M&A targets.
- To liaise with and manage external counsel on IP matters, including developing briefs and monitoring costs.
1. Relevant strong science degree (ideally in chemistry)
2. Experience of reading, writing and understanding patents
3. Knowledge of patent law
4. Experience of patent disputes, working with lawyers etc. - Experience in reading & writing patents
5. Commercial and business awareness
6. Ability to effectively communicate on patents and IP matters
7. The person's character must be able to handle a fast-paced role with a high workload and effective in working with people of varying levels
Please enquire for further details.