Horticulture Resource Technician
Job title: Horticulture Resource Technician
Location: Crystal Palace
Salary: £13,796.00 to £14,880.80 plus £1,432.80 London Weighting
Permanent, Part-time, 4 days per week (28.8 hrs p/w)
Capel Manor College is London’s only Specialist College for land-based studies and an internationally renowned learning resource for all those interested in Horticulture, Animal Management, Saddlery, Arboriculture, Floristry, Garden Design, Countryside and the Environment.
We are currently looking for a Horticulture Resource Technician who will be supporting and resourcing the teaching staff across all courses within the College’s specialist land-based programmes including maintaining practical equipment and plant idents and if where required supporting Lectures in practical task delivery.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining the horticultural resources and the horticultural zone’s grounds, including the safe and orderly storage of materials and the appropriate control of weeds, pests and diseases as required
- Liaise with members of teaching and support staff to co-ordinate demonstration sessions, to ensure smooth transition between classroom studies and practical sessions
- Help to deliver special projects within the Horticultural team such as enhancement and transformation of Horticultural areas, developing work and storage areas etc.
- Supervise weekly volunteers and schools’ work experience students from time to time while maintaining Centre horticultural resources
- Undertake a range of seasonal gardening tasks within the Horticulture areas to ensure that the areas are always of the highest standards – mowing, edging, weeding, pruning, propagation, planting etc in accordance with an agreed seasonal maintenance plan
- Ensure that all requirements and regulations relating to health and safety are adhered to at all times. Ensure that the health and safety of students are maintained whilst undertaking practical sessions
- Ensure, along with other technical support staff, the adequate security of machinery, tools and equipment at all times
- On occasion undertake demonstrations and technical instruction of students enrolled at Capel Manor on a range of full-time and part-time courses at the direction of the teaching staff
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual with excellent communication skills and able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience of working within the horticulture/landscaping industry
- Maintenance and minor repairs of hand tools and horticultural machinery
- Possess a broad range of horticultural practical skills
- Have good plant identification knowledge
What’s in it for you?
Capel Manor offers a unique working environment with a range of benefits including:
- Access to the LGPS Pension Scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Superb staff development opportunities
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to the college being defined as a ‘specified place’. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Capel Manor College aims to employ a workforce which reflects the community it serves. Therefore applications from minority groups are welcomed. Where applicants indicate they have a disability and meet the essential criteria in the person specification, they will be short-listed for interview.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on ‘Apply’ and complete an online application form.
Closing date is 26th February 2018
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960126795