Trustee Vacancy at Eleanor Palmer Trust
About Eleanor Palmer Trust
Eleanor Palmer Trust is an Almshouse Charity providing sheltered housing and residential care to elderly people in need. The organisation also provides ‘Relief in Need’ to other charities and individuals. Today the Eleanor Palmer Trust continues to serve the needs of the local community. The rent from factories built on Eleanor’s remaining meadows provides an income from which Trustees make grants to needy individuals and voluntary organisations within the areas of Chipping Barnet and East Barnet.
Trustee role description and person specification
At Eleanor Palmer Trust we look to our Trustees to make full use of any specific skills, knowledge or experience to help the board in making its decisions.
We are looking for knowledge of any of the following areas:
The board of trustees will need skills and experience in the following areas:
- Setting targets, monitoring and evaluating performance
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and Chief Executive
- The Board of Trustees seeks to maintain a membership that has a wide ranging level of experience so that the Board as a whole has the skills and experience to draw upon in its governance and decision making roles.
- Knowledge of the housing or care profession would be an advantage.
The statutory duties of a Trustee are as follows:
- Ensure that the Trust complies with and pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document.
- Safeguard the values of the Trust.
- Contribute actively to the Boards role in giving firm strategic direction, clear vision, as well as setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against targets.
- Ensure the financial stability of the Trust.
- Appoint the Chief Executive Officer and monitor his or her performance.
- Protect the assets of the Trust.
- Ensuring that the charity complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensuring that the charity’s governance is of the highest possible standard.
To be a Trustee of Eleanor Palmer Trust is an exciting and fulfilling role. The commitment and energy you display will make a direct difference to the charity and our beneficiaries. Your role as a Trustee is to ensure that the Trust fulfils its duty to its beneficiaries; through providing quality housing, support services and care for elderly people in need and grants for local people/organisations. This is achieved by working with fellow Trustees to shape, drive and monitor the Trust’s strategy.
Either in or out of office hours
Board meetings are held every month and will last approximately 2 hours
How to apply
All applications will be made to Reach Volunteering in the first instance. Applications will require a CV and covering letter. This voluntary Trustee position is unpaid, although reasonable out of pocket expenses while fulfilling these duties may be reimbursed as per organisation policy.