Scientist – Weather Predictions Model
Scientist - Weather Predictions Model
A Scientist with a background in numerical methods for atmospheric modelling is needed to join a leading centre for weather forecasts. Joining on a four year contract (with the possibility for extension), expect to play a key role maintaining and improving the current hydrostatic and non-hydrostatic dynamical core for their IFS (Integrated Forecast System).
With over 40 years' experience, 350 employees across more than 30 countries, and one of the largest supercomputer facilities in Europe, this innovative research centre is at the forefront of numerical weather predictions. They are now seeking a Scientist / Senior Scientist who has experience of model diagnostics and validation to join their talented Research Department.
Sitting in the Numerical Methods Team of the Earth System Modelling (ESM) the Scientist / Senior Scientist will be responsible for maintaining and improving the dynamical core for their numerical weather prediction model. Whether you are working on physics-dynamics coupling aspects for potentially different dynamical core options; supporting vertical and / or horizontal resolutions upgrades in IFS across all applications (data assimilation/medium-range/extended range prediction) or supporting the development and evaluation of alternative dynamical core options and their adaptation to future architectures, it will be your knowledge of dynamic meteorology that ensure the development of their dynamical core.
To qualify. You should be a Scientist / Senior Scientist / Meteorologist / Physicist or similar with a CV that demonstrates:
- Very good knowledge of dynamic meteorology;
- Experience with numerical modelling methods for global NWP and complex geophysical models;
- Experience with model diagnostics and validation;
- An understanding of physics-dynamics coupling issues;
- A university degree in Meteorology Physics, Mathematics or a related subject (a PhD in a related subject with strong numerical modelling content is desirable but not essential);
- Experience with large scientific codes and programming in an HPC environment (is highly desirable).
Any familiarity with Linux and scripting and visualisation languages such as metview, python, IDL or similar and knowledge of source code management systems would be a bonus as would knowledge of Fortran and C++ and a knowledge of French or German would be an advantage but is not essential.
On application - you will be sent an email outlining full vacancy details.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a driven Scientist / Senior Scientist looking to develop their skills in an in-house role within a globally recognised organisation.
More searches like this
- Education Research & Analysis £100,000 or more Permanent jobs in Reading
- Technology & New Media Research & Analysis £100,000 or more Permanent jobs in Reading
- Engineering Research & Analysis £100,000 or more Permanent jobs in Reading
- Public Sector Research & Analysis £100,000 or more Permanent jobs in Reading