Head of Commercial
A multi-national publishing company based in London are looking for a Head of Commercial to develop, lead and manage the finance and commercial activities of their Licensing and Life globally.
The Head of Commercial is responsible for advising the licensing and life divisions on all commercial aspects of the business. The role will also be responsible for results reporting, budgeting and forecasting. It will also be expected to take an active lead in developing and implementing new and best practise within the wider Group Company as part of the Global Finance function.
- Understanding the value drivers of the business and identifying profitable commercial opportunities to grow revenue and profitability
- Developing and maintaining an excellent understanding of the key licensors to ensure that their needs are being met and that their business is retained
- Undertaking market insight and analysis and producing business plans/recommendations (including all associated costs and forecasted revenue for the business), to ensure that all business development opportunities (new products, services and markets) are optimised
- Assessing the risks to the business of any new commercial opportunities
- Act as a key advisor and member of team on licensor and author agent negotiations, ensuring that target margins are achieved and licensor/author payments are at an acceptable level
- Maintaining an awareness of internal and external factors which impact the business
- Collating and analysing business data pertaining to all commercial activities
- Defining and communicating Key Performance Indicators that will ensure long term profitable growth
- Ensuring that all commercial activities meet or improve on budget (KPIs) in line with business objectives
- Working with the wider global finance and operations teams to deliver group objectives
- Advise on commercial matters such as contractual issues; sign off on costing where appropriate, stock control and discounts. The post holder is expected to challenge performance and flag issues where necessary
- Responsible for developing financial awareness throughout the division: for example, quarterly feedback on title performance, delivering training sessions to non-finance/operational staff, e.g. on reading P&L's
- Ensuring the accurate and timely preparation and reporting of monthly and year end results, budgets and forecasts. This includes responsibility for overseeing reconciliations of the Balance Sheet
- The Head of Commercial will also be involved with month end work on a supervisory and advisory level
- Line management responsibility for a business analyst who is responsible for the day-to-day accounting activities for the division. Responsibilities include recruitment, training and development, objective setting and performance management and review
- Manage the relationship and priorities with the contracts team
- Qualified Accountant.
- Significant financial experience and business partnering
- Strong commercial and business acumen
- Line management experience
- Experience of working with major licensors
Please click to apply.