Motor Underwriting Manager
Tesco Underwriting is currently looking for a Motor Underwriting Manager based out of our Reigate office.
The successful person will work with the Underwriting Delivery Manager to develop, deliver and embed the motor underwriting strategy.
Specific, hands on knowledge of underwriting Motor insurance is essential, along with the ability to manage and mentor a team of technical underwriters. Experience of product development, taking account of emerging market trends and competitor activity to propose changes, would be beneficial.
- Lead, manage and coach underwriters and technicians to ensure they have the capability and knowledge of systems, policies and procedures to deliver their roles and responsibilities.
- Monitor and review the underwriting footprint, including the portfolio/customer profile and underwriting performance, and make recommendations for change as appropriate.
- Develop, deliver and maintain the Underwriting Quality Assurance procedures, including delivery an annual programme of technical underwriting audits, monitoring compliance with delegated authorities and review of the accuracy of underwriting rules.
- Establish, manage and maintain a framework to handle underwriting referrals from Sales and Service Areas.
- Undertake continuous review of the referral processes and delegated authority levels and work with our partners to agree and implement improvements.
- Manage the customer/FOS complaints process on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer drafting responses on their behalf.
- Provide technical input into pricing decisions around motor products.
The Motor Underwriting manager will manage the technical aspects of the motor product portfolio, advising on policy wording and documentation, claim referrals, insurance ombudsman cases and other legal or compliance issues.
You will also produce regular management information and reports, making recommendations for change, including identification of risk mitigation strategies.
As part of the role you will deliver the regular review and evaluation of motor underwriting systems and processes to ensure that they are working as expected and to identify service improvements and enhancements.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Hold a relevant professional qualification, e.g. ACII
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of underwriting principles and experience of a wide range of technical issues, including an ability to evaluate risk
- Able to demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the motor insurance market
- Numerate; with a proven ability to analyse and interpret technical data
- Highly computer literate; able to use excel and other database packages
- Able to exercise sound judgement and decision making against a highly complex technical background
- Previous experience of managing or supervising a team
- Good organisation skills; able to demonstrate a project management approach
- Good communication skills; able to explain highly complex technical terms in plain English and build rapport and develop and maintain a network of internal and external contacts across all levels.