We are currently recruiting for a Design Manager to work for a large Main Contractor on a high value commercial project in Central London. The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic and proactive individual who has a background in Main Contractor or Architectural design. They should be methodical and have good organisational skills with a keen eye for detail. Candidates should be able to display good time management skills, presentation skills and be confident to chair meetings. Individuals should display self motivation and be willing take the initiative.
Main Purpose of the Role
To deliver a quality service and product in line with the project goals by working with the professional team and applying company systems, procedures and culture.
To support the construction team in the resolution of design related issues in a timely manner to prevent an affect on the construction programme and with awareness of the commercial implications the resolution may produce.
- To work as part of a team for the design coordination of a large commercial project.
- To audit the design and identify inconsistencies, discrepancies and missing information and record, report and track the close out of these items in an Information Required Schedule format.
- To take responsibility for the production and control of the design programme and report against it.
- To manage the coordination between trades.
- To review design development regularly with the Commercial Manager to ensure design and commercial aspects are aligned. Track design changes.
- To manage the production and approval of samples, mock ups and quality benchmarks.
- To produce and manage Open Items Schedules for each trade contractor package.
- To coordinate the integration of the building services with the architectural and structural elements of the project.
- To identify potential quality issues and latent defects and to manage the design development of these with the design team to provide a suitable resolution.
- To be a point of contact between the design team and the trade contractors.
- To attend Morning Review meetings and action design information.
- To produce precise and succinct design sections for project reports.
- To offer buildability advice and value engineering solutions.
- To identify problems and offer solutions.
- To suggest trade contractors, systems and manufacturers for team appraisal.
- Methodical approach to duties
- Sensitive to political situations - good relationship builder
- Good communicator
- Team player
- Prepared to be innovative
- A good organiser / system implementer
- Be able to effectively manage risk
- Be able to effectively plan the design programme
- Knowledge of electronic document management such as Conject (BIW)
- Good presentation skills
- Prior construction management experience or Architectural or M&E qualifications
- Industry experience. Track record of successful projects either internally or externally
- In-depth knowledge of the design and construction process, both refurbishment and fit out
- Understands the pre-construction process. Can organise and manage the design phase of a project
- Has been involved in at least one large (£30m+) project.
ASAP interview and start for the ideal candidate.
To apply for this Design Manager role, please click the 'Apply' button below or email