Title: Finance Director
Salary: Circa £56,000
Closing Date: Midday 1st March 2017
Interviews: March 2017
Contract: 37 hours, permanent, full-year
Purpose of Job: To lead and manage all of the College's financial affairs in accordance with the College's Mission and values.
Accountability to: The Principal
Line Management Responsibility for: The College's Finance Team, (Assistant Finance Director, Senior Finance Officer, 2.5 x Finance Assistants), and other departments as appropriate.
Membership of: College Management Team.
* Financial Security and Resilience.
* A well-informed and confident Corporation.
* A well-informed and confident College Management Team.
* An effective integrated Finance Team.
* Clarity among the whole staff of the College about the College's use of finances.
* Staff and students who feel supported by the Finance team.
* Effective implementation of the College's quality assurance and self-assessment systems in relation to finances.
* Day-to-day management of the College's financial systems that will include:
- Preparing the 3-5 year financial forecasts and plans.
- Raising financial awareness across the College about the use of financial procedures, including business planning.
* Strategic financial planning and budgetary control, including the development and maintenance of a comprehensive budget model covering income and expenditure, balance sheet and cash forecasts.
* Preparation of monthly management and annual statutory reports as required by the Principal, the Governing Body and external funding agencies.
* The provision of clear financial information and reports for all budget holders necessary to ensure achievement of the College's objectives.
* Ensuring that all financial practices are organised efficiently and effectively and are fully documented to withstand external scrutiny from auditors and others.
* Timely and accurate statutory returns.
* Internal auditing of financial systems.
* Investment management of surplus funds including negotiation of facilities with banks.
* Maintenance of a fixed asset and property register, including plans, registers and valuation of land, buildings and equipment.
* Provision of advice on financial policies and strategies relating to the management of refectory services, external hiring of College premises, fees and special projects.
* Preparation of appropriate papers for presentation to meetings of Governors, Audit Committee and Finance and Premises Committee.
* Management of student travel contracts and related finances.
* Such other duties as may reasonably be required and are commensurate with the post.
The successful candidate should possess:
* An appropriate accountancy qualification (desirable).
* An appropriate management qualification (desirable).
The successful candidate will have:
* Successful financial management experience at an appropriate level in a college, local authority or complex business enterprise, (essential), and experience of working in the FE sector, including knowledge of EFA/SFA funding and/or other funding opportunities (desirable).
* Substantial experience of using and managing computerised management information systems. (essential)
* Experience of successful income generation. (desirable)
* Experience of applying for, or knowledge of applicable funding streams. (essential)
* Excellent management and leadership skills and the ability to contribute to the strategic direction of the College.
* The ability to initiate and develop creative but workable strategies to maximise College performance and secure a sound financial position.
* Excellent team-working skills, including the ability to lead others with energy and enthusiasm.
* The ability to provide an environment in which others feel inspired, engaged and motivated.
* Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
* The ability to accurately interpret complex information and recommend sound, well-considered decisions and judgements in the light of this.
* The ability to communicate effectively with all staff, stakeholders and a wide ranging audience, encouraging confidence within all levels of the organisation.
* The ability to identify and overcome challenges offering workable and well thought out solutions.
* A strong sense of ownership of College wide financial management.
* A willingness to undergo further personal and professional development.
* The ability to promote equality and diversity throughout all aspects of College life, including employment and service delivery.
The College is set on a beautiful 25 acre site, where parking is free to all staff; free sports centre membership and discounted Central Studio tickets are also available. A staff room and lunch facility is offered with complimentary tea and coffee provided daily.
Please click Apply now and ensure you enclose a valid email address to continue your application.