Job Title: Maintenance Operative
Location: 3 sites in Birmingham
Direct Reports: None
Reports To: Accommodation Manager
Key Purpose of the role
This role is to provide a pro-active and responsive repairs and maintenance service to ensure that faults in properties, including household equipment and fittings are dealt with in a timely fashion.
* To carry out initial inspection of faults reported
* To make repairs where appropriate
* To assess problems that require professional attention and to provide an adequate description in order that contractors are properly instructed
* To install white goods
* To assemble and install furniture
* To maintain a clean site, including the removal of graffiti upon discovery
* To fix shelving, curtain rails, pictures etc., in a safe and proper manner
* To carry out redecorations that are required
* To keep a log of reported defects and remedial actions undertaken and escalate requests for external contractors to attend to repairs
* To ensure that all tools and equipment are maintained in safe working order and used in accordance with manufacturers instructions
* Maintain and order suitable replenishment stock of spares
* To carry out all duties with due regard for safe working practices, Health and Safety Regulations and COSHH and at all times safeguard yourself, tenants, staff and members of the public
* Carry out regular testing of fire alarm and emergency lighting systems
* To ensure the security of the properties, including fitting new locks and fixing/adjusting doors and windows. To make safe broken glazing
* Carry out Portable Appliance Testing as required
* To carry out minor electrical maintenance, such as bulb replacement changing plugs and fuses on electrical fittings and ensuring that the correct fuse rating is used
* To carry out minor plumbing maintenance such as washer and plug replacement and de-scaling unblocking sinks and toilets
* To regularly inspect utilities supplies and provide meter readings for the purposes of monitoring consumption
* To change batteries in smoke detectors, phones etc.
* To attend relevant training to post
* Any other duties commensurate with the post as required by the Accommodation Manager
* Defects logged on "online" maintenance reporting system and repair in agreed timescales or escalated for third party completion and monitored accordingly
* Room voids due to maintenance issues strictly minimised to agreed levels.
* Health & Safety breaches attended to immediately and escalated as appropriate
* Reactive maintenance kept to agreed levels by way of planned preventative inspections and regimes being adopted
* Thorough understanding of Health & Safety legislation and the impact of the works being undertaken.
* Up to date and relevant electrical qualifications (e.g. City and Guilds Level 3)
* Basic Word and Excel Skills
Attributes/ Personal Characteristics:
* Results orientated and to take ownership of responsibilities and displays pride in work carried out
* Able to work to instruction and also to use own initiative to solve problems
* Excellent communication skills
* Client focused
This job description list is not exhaustive and may alter in light of the changing needs of our clients. You may be required to undertake other duties from time to time as the company may reasonably require.
Closing Date: 24th February 2017