Secondary School Premises Manager - Caretaker
The Premises Manager is a key member of the management team
This role will be pivotal in ensuring that the building remains in excellent condition providing a safe, yet welcoming environment that students and staff alike can be proud of.
Operational Duties/Strategic Planning
- Managing efficiently and effectively the Academy site, buildings and grounds.
- Ensuring the safety of staff, students and visitors to the Academy by the effective use of staffing and equipment.
- Ensuring the security of the premises and equipment in accordance with procedures and practices.
- Establishing and maintaining a proactive Health and Safety provision across the whole Academy including designation as the 'Responsible Person’. Managing risk assessments to ensure that all site related decisions are taken in full knowledge of the risks.
- Controlling the selection, supervision, quality of work and ensuring a safe system of work for all staff and external contractors working at the Academy site.
- Proactively promoting and administering the provision of lettings and other events on site including appropriate security and reception staff.
- Ensuring that minibuses operate an efficient service and are maintained in compliance with legal requirements including appropriate driver certification.
- Carry out the installation, maintenance, testing and fault finding on a wide range of electrical and mechanical plant.
- Managing the facilities budget and purchasing resources in line with Academy practices and ensuring that approved works are completed in accordance with procedures, specification and timescales.
- Developing, maintaining and implementing policies, procedures and practices concerning Fire, Health and Safety across the whole Academy and ensuring statutory compliance.
- Managing the security of sites and buildings, including attendance at alarm activations either during or outside normal working hours.
- Managing the external environment of the Academy to ensure a professional focus is maintained at all times.
- Ensuring that Site staff appraisals are undertaken and staff development plans are implemented
- Encouraging multi-skilling and cross covering of roles between staff.
- Setting up simple systems for recording, assigning and monitoring site tasks.
- Planning and controlling a rolling programme of maintenance, redecoration, periodic & deep cleaning, renewal and alteration to premises within agreed budgets and timescales
- Creating, implementing and monitoring a simple feedback procedure to measure the performance of the services, proactively measuring the satisfaction of customers quantitatively and qualitatively on a regular basis.
- To assist in developing and then managing a business continuity plan in line with the organisational disaster recovery and continuity plan.
- To ensure all aspects of legal and best practice guidelines and compliance are understood, met and objectively measured and audited e.g. health & safety, food hygiene.
- To manage the site team and ensure that the academy site(s) provide a positive student and staff impression and contribute positively to meeting the academy’s objectives.
- To promote anti-discriminatory practice and ensure that equal opportunities policies and procedures are fully integrated into the work of the academy.
- To support oversight of any capital works ensuring health and safety and value for money whilst limiting the impact on the running of the academy.
- To understand and commit to the vision, values and objectives of the Trust.
- To undertake any additional responsibilities that may be required by the Principals commensurate with the grade and nature of the post.
- Significant experience in Facilities & Estates management
- Experience of managing and monitoring a range of contracts and contractors to ensure that Value for Money and Key Performance Indicator requirements are met.
- Experience in the management of staff in a successful Site function.
- Experience of designing and managing a rolling programme of maintenance.
- Ideally but not essential - experience of working in a school, academy or other educational based background.
An enhanced DBS will be required for this role as you will have limited contact with pupils at these academies.
Due to the high number of responses that we receive we can only respond to the candidates who meet the criteria specified above by our client and we do not retain your details on our data base. GOOD LUCK!