Commercial Manager - Grocery Brand Management
Commercial Manager - Grocery retail brand
The Commercial Manager will create and execute the commercial brand plan for our Retail brands - including our partnership with M&S Simply Foods.
The Commercial Manager will be expected to use a variety of levers to drive like-for-like sales growth, such as range improvement, optimisation of price and promotion, upselling and maximisation of the use of space, and will drive category performance as well as the M&S Simply Food stores' performance in our portfolio
In this role you'll use a range of tools and approaches to achieve gross margin improvement: working with stakeholders to identify and take advantage of supplier income opportunities and finding ways to reduce the impact that commercial activity has on waste and labour.
SSP operates a rigorous and thorough commercial planning process hence this role will present regularly to the UK and Global CEOs as well as other senior stakeholders.
Success in this role is highly dependent on an effective relationship with the operational teams so that commercial initiatives can be designed with a good understanding of operational processes (including procurement and supply chain) and the impact on front line activity.
The Commercial Manager will also need to manage external stakeholders in order to ensure that SSP achieves its commercial outcomes whilst satisfying the requirements of the client and brand partners that we work with.
This Commercial Manager is responsible for the 65 stores in Marks & Spencer within the estate. We are looking for someone with Retailer or Grocery category management experience .
As a Commercial Manager, your key responsibilities will include:
- Commercial plan - create the commercial plan for M&S Simply Foods
- Analytics - ensure that every initiative is modelled on a product by product / unit by unit basis and forecast outcomes.
- Sign off - submit proposed sales and gross margin improvement activities to weekly trade / monthly commercial forum meetings for approval (background, financial value and suggested next steps)
- Preparation of marketing briefs to access marketing services - marketing services such as NPD, creative design, marketing planning and brand development are provided by the Group Marketing function.
- Implementation - once activity is signed off, ensure successful implementation through operational teams
- Review - report results at weekly trade and monthly commercial forum meetings.
- Roll out - if successful, roll out and look for optimisation opportunities either in other brands or in other product categories where the same principles can be applied
- New openings - manage the commercial set up for new openings including range, pricing, POS
- Monitor competitor and brand partner activity
- Spend time in the field (c. 1 day/week) - observing and supporting implementation in operational units
We are looking for an experienced Brand or Category Manager with significant previous brand experience within a Retail or Grocery environment.
- Excellent computer skills - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and brand and category management systems.
- Knowledge of strategy deployment and the development of customer communications
- Flexible and adaptable approach with excellent team working skills
- Ability to positively influence colleagues, managing subjective issues with sensitivity
- Ability to manage complex and multiple tasks with good prioritization skills
- Proven track record in delivery of sales, profit and margin and all relevant commercial and brand marketing KPI's
SSP is a world-wide retail catering company with operations in 32 countries and employing over 30,000 people. In the UK we operate retail catering sites at railway stations, airports and shopping centres across the county.
As Brand Manager, we offer a competitive salary of up to £40K + benefits.
We also offer a benefits package including great training and learning and development opportunities and a discount scheme involving lots of high street retailers and service providers.