Are you noticed for your achievements at work? Are you rewarded correctly? Does your employer value you and offer you career progression?
If you are feeling like just a number and not a valued member of staff then it is time to consider this new career opportunity…..
We represent a national house builder that has an excellent reputation and that’s not just for the quality of its developments but for the importance of investing and rewarding their employees.
They believe in rewarding people for what they deliver and for their individual contribution to the success of the wider business. They provide competitive salaries and benefits and career plans for each new staff member, encouraging staff to build an enjoyable long term career with them.
Overall Purpose of the role:
Reporting to Commercial Director
To set out, and successfully implement, the regional business strategy for delivering efficient cost control and procurement needs in line with business unit targets. Monitor all contractual issues, reviewing costs on a continuing basis, identifying and realising cost saving opportunities. Overseeing material and subcontract procurement.
To negotiate and procure all materials (that are supplied by subcontractors), labour and plant to ensure that the business’ unit output programme is carried out professionally and within budget.
To align the quantity surveying activities with those of the procurement function.
Ensure adequate resources on site to build the product in accordance with the planned programme. Monitor and evaluate subcontract performance and take any appropriate action.
Management, motivation and training of staff involved in the commercial function.
Key Activities1.Resource Management
- Liase with the Sales and Design and Planning Departments with regard to specification on a site-by-site basis, advise on cost and availability of materials and products and produce specifications.
- Liase with Production Management in respect of the programming and delivery of material supplies and subcontract trades.
- Negotiate and place orders with labour and material subcontractors/suppliers on a competitive tender basis.
- Ensure all specifications and programmes are complied with and that quality is not compromised.
- Monitor invoicing procedures and resolve any issues in conjunction with the Finance Department.
- Oversee site stock on a regular basis.
- Monitor material quality and the performance of subcontractors in conjunction with site based staff.
- Provide feedback to subcontractors outlining where an unacceptable standard of materials or performance has been identified.
- Calculate all the prime costs on developments within the business, reporting any movements in the costs since the preparation of the land purchase exercise. Prime costs to include but not restricted to house pricing, labour costs, site work operations and remediation work.
- Provide a detailed cost budget and share with Site Manager at the appropriate time.
- Detail a labour cost schedule including anticipated target hours.
- Maintain schedules of quantities and price them individually for prime cost budget.
- Manage the adoption process of public works.
- Complete the apportionment of total prime costs to individual plots and produce a profit analysis.
- Monitor and explain subcontractor cost movements.
- Responsible for subcontractor payments, variation orders and day works and settlement of final accounts.
- Undertake valuations of production at budgeted cost on a monthly basis and split the cost of profit completions and potential future profit to estimate a value for work in progress.
- Report on savings and excesses against budget costs to the Director.
- Forecast final accounts.
- Ensure aware of continuing product development in light of changes in legislation i.e. building regulations etc.
- Attend pre start, specification and any other relevant meeting as required under the Company’s Growing Wiser procedure.
- Undertake regular site visits.
- Any other duties as required by the Commercial Director.
- Team working
- Negotiation skills
- Business acumen
- Attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of all quantity surveying activities.
- Good knowledge of Building Regulations, NHBC and Health and Safety requirements.
- Wide experience in the procurement and purchase of materials and sub contract labour.
- IT literate.
- Managing a Team.