Design Manager for leading Contractor in Manchester
The Design Manager will be responsible for all design and technical aspects of the project ensuring it is delivered on budget and to programme. This will entail effective management of external consultants together with the ability to communicate effectively with the wider company and business partners. The Design Manager must ensure all schemes adopt the 'best value' approach which seeks to minimise costs whilst maximising value. The Design Manager will report to the Senior Technical Manager
To manage and coordinate external consultants in their day to day duties related to design and technical aspects of production information and to ensure deliver within the constraints of time, quality, budget and technical requirements.
* Ensure translation of the planning scheme into an efficient and workable commercial solution
* Oversee document control with regards to registration and distribution of design and technical information.
* Liaison with key personnel within the project team in preparation of project costing and design works.
* To co-ordinate all technical information from grant of planning permission to completion of project.
* To manage and drive external consultants in the preparation and issue of production information to an agreed programme.
* To keep the Senior Technical Manager appraised of all design and technical issues.
* To constantly monitor all production information and consultant activities against budgetary allowances and report any variances.
* To constantly monitor all production information and consultant activities against the production programme to ensure timely delivery.
* The monitoring of works undertaken by designers and consultants to ensure compliance with the project brief, statutory requirements and co-ordination with other designers.
* To resolve all day to day problems as they arise and, where appropriate, liaising with the Senior Technical Manager and Project Manager for approval.
* Working with the design team to resolve clearance of planning conditions, building regulation approval, project insurance conditions, party wall conditions, code for sustainable homes, BREEAM, HQI's, SBD conditions, SAP rating, etc.
* Monitor and control all production information in close liaison with the project surveyor to ensure cost controls are kept and information produced is in line with the budget.
* Respond to queries and address design issues as they arise.
* Ensure that all required approvals are delivered to facilitate the project programme.
* Ensure that all aspects of the building design are fully coordinated including but not restricted to, structures, M&E, façades, internal specification, service strategies, maintenance strategies, landscaping.
* Attend Design Panel Reviews (DPR) as required.
* As required attend relevant technical meetings.
* Degree or HND qualified in an appropriate discipline: Design Management, Construction Management, Project Management, Architecture, Engineering or similar.
* Experience in construction and design management of complex, demanding construction projects including residential. High-rise experience would be an advantage.
* Proven track record of successfully managing all aspects of the technical/design process of construction projects