Automation Test Manager
- The Automation Test Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of a test team and the varied test work the team participates in. This will include the allocation, support and review of work carried out by the Automated Test Analysts and Senior Automation.
- The Automation Test Manager will be responsible for the end-to-end management of a discrete piece of testing work; from initiation and planning, through management of specification and execution to completion. Reporting and provision of appropriate management information will also be an important requirement of the role. A test project could be performed in-house or at a client’s site, as appropriate.
- Initially the Automation Test Manager will be the sole individual overseeing automated testing within the testing function. They must therefore be able to demonstrate a broad and thorough knowledge of automated testing in order to come from a position of authority and so influence testing strategy. They should have extensive experience within a number of different organisations, and be able to use their knowledge and experience to articulate clearly their reasons for suggesting a particular approach.
Automation Test Manager
- Management of Test Projects
- Resource planning to ensure effective provision of test resources to projects, changes and fixes.
- Provide input on testing at project initiation stage, including provision of test estimates and any special requirements for that project
- Plan the test project to meet the wider project’s objectives and timescales
- Monitor progress against the plan and regularly report on the status of the test project
- Identify, agree and implement mitigating actions when progress slips against plan
- Monitor defects/bugs raised;
o Review defects, updating status when required.
o Chase defects where resolution is outstanding.
o Feedback results to team members.
o Escalate high priority defects immediately to the appropriate person
- Agree and review targets for automation script completion and all other testing related activities
- Make decisions as to which scripts should be automated
- Accountable for the production of all test project documentation
- Produce reports, lessons learnt documentation and associated management information to both provide an accurate picture of testing and to drive on-going continuous improvement activities
- Ensure that test projects are closed down tidily; that all reusable assets from the project are archived in a way which makes them available for future use and that resources are released from the project in a timely fashion
- Act as a trusted, expert advisor for all testing/automation related questions
- Propose, agree and implement improvements to processes and test approach in order to improve software quality
- Substantial input into the Test Team training plan, including:
o Making oneself available to prepare and deliver training to the team when required.
o Delivering training to clients when on site.
The Automation Test Manager will directly manage a team of testers and will ensure the structured and coordinated planning of their team’s development.
- Set a clear direction for the team, communicates this well to team, and delivers on targets.
- Ensure all team members are kept up to date on changes within the organisation, and encourage team members to increase their awareness of other areas of the business.
- Agree performance objectives for all members of team and conduct formal 6 month and 12 month appraisals.
- Carry out regular 1-2-1s with all team members and provide feedback on a timely basis - directly approach other managers for feedback on their team members.
- Provide regular feedback to other managers on individuals the Automation Test Manager has been working with outside their own direct team.
- Support team members in achieving their own personal development & career goals, through regular coaching sessions.
- Manage any performance and disciplinary issues in conjunction with HR.
- Act as an escalation point for team members to raise issues through
Automation Test Manager
- Testing experience incorporating Unit Testing, System Testing, User Interface Testing, Acceptance Testing and Integration Testing all under the automation umbrella.
- Test management experience; proven ability to plan, manage and report on test projects.
- Experience of automated testing tools such as Test Bench, QTP, Selenium, BDD frameworks and test management tools.
- Experience in one or more of following development languages - Java, VB Script, and Scala.
- Experience in building, maintaining and enhancing automation frameworks.
- Experience in providing consultancy and support to clients around test approach and software functionality.
- Thorough knowledge of structured test methods and processes.
- Good knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle.
ISEB / ISQTB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing qualified