Infrastructure Operations Manager
Deliver 24x7 operational capacity and performance across the Group’s systems, while at all times maintaining a technology foundation that is resilient, secure and scalable, and deliver innovation across the Group with an Infrastructure Roadmap which drives the businesses forward - creating new opportunities, reducing cost and improving customer service. Be the primary technological thought leader within the Infrastructure team while setting a direction and example for continual service improvement
PRINCIPAL JOB OBJECTIVES
1. Deliver the Group Infrastructure Roadmap, working with the Group Head of IT Operations to define the (future) infrastructure and operational IT needs of the businesses, e.g.:
- Maintain the roadmap and ensure this is simple and transparent.
- Analyse and advise on the expected benefits, impacts, opportunities, etc. of any proposed initiative.
- Recommend a balanced approach to the roadmap (time, cost, quality, scope, etc.).
- Deliver post-implementation analysis of the realised benefits of significant initiatives, including recommendations.
- Regularly report on the success of Infrastructure Operations delivery against the roadmap, in particular analysis on expected versus actual, e.g. timeliness, quality, etc.
- Work with all stakeholders to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions to conflicts between competing initiatives.
- Make recommendations that carefully balance in-source/out-source/partners and package/build when making technology decisions.
- Deliver against a proactively managed and agile roadmap, constantly managing risk and adapting to changing business priorities.
- Ensure emerging technologies are understood and, when appropriate, leveraged for competitive advantage.
- Inspire others on topics such as technology innovation and related impact on consumer behaviours.
- Work with the Group Head of Development to agree IT Strategy and the Group Technology Roadmap.
- Work with the Project Management team to agree Infrastructure Roadmap implementation plan.
2. Deliver infrastructure projects (business/technology roadmap) to expectations, with rigour and a strong commercial focus e.g.:
- Clearly document the stakeholders’ requirements, and ensure the stakeholders fully understand the plan and solution.
- Ensure requirements / business case is appropriately authorized before commencing work.
- Deliver rigorous business, process and systems analysis for all projects, ensuring solutions are reliable and future-proof.
- Define and deliver practical, workable, pragmatic and cost-effective solutions to stakeholders’ business requirements.
- Meet/exceed requirements (e.g. functionality, usability, performance, scalability, security, resiliency, quality, etc.).
- Manage resource, scope and timescales to reduce cost and ensure milestones are met during the usual project flux.
- Transition all projects to live with a smooth and methodical cut-over (with a rollback plan in place).
- Manage projects using the approved lifecycle with controls and documentation as defined by the PM library.
- Perform appropriate, documented and authorised change management control throughout the project.
- Clearly communicate project progress, regularly report to all stakeholders and manage their expectations.
- Escalate all issues to the appropriate points at the earliest possible opportunity.
- Manage to, and regularly report on, agreed KPIs.
- Ensure solutions have complete and proven recovery mechanisms (from simple backup/restore to business continuity).
- Ensure all system source and documentation is kept up to date, safely stored, appropriately secured and organised.
- Design technology solutions that are secure, scalable and resilient.
3. Maintain a secure, resilient and scalable set of infrastructure, e.g.:
- Ensure infrastructure is secured against hacking attacks, unauthorized access and malicious programs (malware).
- Ensure systems and system data have complete and proven recovery mechanisms (backups/restore/archival).
- Ensure infrastructure has an appropriate level of resilience depending on its business use.
- Own the Group IT security policy, Group IT Business Continuity plan and regulatory adherence (e.g. PCI-DSS).
4. Deliver 24x7 operational, functional performing IT systems across the Group, e.g.:
- Ensure infrastructure performance and capacity is (at least) adequate for the business needs.
- Monitor all live systems so issues are discovered as soon as possible.
- Manage risk during periods of agreed change freeze and chair charge control boards (or equivalent).
Skill and Experience
- Successful delivery in a very fast-moving customer-focussed environment, ideally owner-managed.
- Experience of inputting into IT roadmaps and ensuring alignment to business strategy
- Involved in concurrent (at least 5) medium-sized (2 man-years) technology projects in the retail sector
- Created and delivered effective, pragmatic, timely and cost-effective technology solutions in retail sector
- Led a technology team who delivered on-time, to specification, budget, quality and to delighted stakeholders
- Recruited, managed and retained technology teams
- Experienced in retail systems and omni-channel technology (WMS, ePOS, web, etc.)
- Designed, architected and implemented retail technology delivering quantifiable business benefits
- Delivered IT security policy and ran a secure multi-site retail set of infrastructure
- Experienced in PCI-DSS policy, implementation and management
- Ran 24x7 retail infrastructure operations and support
- Hands on ability in either network or server discipline
- Strong technical ability, able to communicate technical concepts to any audience
- Working knowledge and experience of ITIL