Discovery & Learning Officer - Conservation / Charity
ZSL London Zoo’s Discovery and Learning department is looking for four Discovery & Learning Officers to join our team. The Discovery & Learning Officers will play key roles in delivering ZSL’s learning strategy and in doing so achieve the Society’s mission to raise awareness and inform visitors and other audiences about the natural world and associated conservation issues.
Position: Discovery & Learning Officer
Hours: Various Contracts Available
Salary: £30,316 pro-rata (Inclusive of London Weighting)
Location: ZSL London Zoo - NW1
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
The Discovery & Learning Officers will work with the development and delivery of a range of learning activities and events, for a variety of audiences, the principal audience being schools, but also including FE, HE, adult learners, teachers and education professionals. There will be additional project work which will link to the Zoo’s events calendar and involve working with various departments in ZSL.
- 2 Month Fixed Term - Ideally starting 18th April 2017
- 9-12 Month Maternity Cover - Starting 1st June 2017
- 5 Days a Week - Starting 27th March till 21st July
- 4 Days a Week - Starting 27th March till 21st July
Ideally candidates will have:
- Previous experience of teaching in either a formal or informal education setting
- Proven experience of developing high quality, innovative learning activities/events to meet specific learning outcomes and audience needs
- Prior experience of working with children and communicating to a wide range of audiences
- Experience working in a zoo, aquarium, museum or other animal related environment
- Ability to carry out and demonstrate to others correct animal husbandry and management skills for handling collections
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learning new skills and information within a strict time limit e.g. performance skills, handling different animals, working with different departments in ZSL
- Full DBS background check
Please note: Due to the nature of this role applicants should be aware that they will need to work some evenings, weekends and bank holidays. Applicants will also need to be able to work in an outdoor environment and in all weather conditions.
Closing date for applications: 5pm (17:00) 23rd February 2017
Interview date: 2nd and 3rd March 2017
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click the button to be directed to our website.
We are committed to the principle of equal opportunities in employment. We apply policies that are determined solely by job criteria and personal ability.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
No agencies please.