Product Owner - Digital Ticketing
£50-75k + Benefits
We have a vacancy for a Product Owner to take charge of our Digital Ticketing activities. We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a passion for customer experience to lead trainline (and indeed the domestic rail industry) into the brave new world of digital ticketing, ensuring that trainline becomes as much a core part of travelling by rail, as we are core to the retailing process today. The combination of our multi-channel retailing capabilities with digital ticketing and in-travel services should be so compelling as to drive mass behavior change for rail passengers, eliminating at-station ticket purchase and queueing to collect tickets from station machines.
Your challenge will be to help develop our ticketing vision and translate it into reality, working end to end in the product build process, be that validating new disruptive ideas or shipping detailed iterations to enhance the core product line.
The Product Owner, Digital Ticketing will understand and develop our vision for how digital ticketing can transform the end to end experience that trainline offers its customers, and in doing so how we will increase our customer and transaction volumes, our share of customer spending and customer loyalty.
This role is responsible for the delivery of our digital ticketing uptake targets, and is therefore a key contributor to trainline’s future business growth. You will forecast the relationship between product development, customer uptake and business growth and from this define the Digital Ticketing product roadmap. This should be backed up with reasoning, research and modelled predictions.
Reporting to a Senior Product Owner, you’ll be working closely with our Digital Ticketing development team on a day to day basis, engaged in planning, product discovery, user experience testing, epic and story generation and product testing. You will need to ensure that the team understands the reasoning behind the roadmap and also, in detail, what the requirements and goals are for each piece of work. From inception through to testing and deployment, the development team will look to you for guidance and decisions on how features should work and it will be your responsibility to consider options and choose the optimal path for the development. You will also measure and communicate the outcomes of developments to allow the business to learn from both success or failure.
You will need to work with the design team, customer research, business analysts, finance, operations, legal and others to ensure that the digital ticketing plan is meeting needs from across the business and results in market leading products.
Many Digital Ticketing product changes will require development activities within other development teams and changes in other areas of the business (e.g. marketing or operations), therefore a key part of this role will be cross team coordination to ensure delivery against the roadmap. Likewise, other product owners and the tech teams will have requirements for the Digital Ticketing development team that will need to be weighed up and scheduled according with appropriate priority. To achieve this, you will need to be a level-headed thinker with good evidence based judgement, a strong communicator with good stakeholder management skills and also be able to see the bigger picture of what the business as a whole is trying to achieve and how your initiatives fit. You will look after the digital ticketing section of the cross cluster plan reflecting the agreed delivery of items across the various teams.
Other responsibilities include:
- Understand customer behavior with respect to ticketing - what can we do with digital ticketing to really meet their needs?
- Work closely with data scientists, product researchers, designers and usability analysts to construct viable long-term solutions.
- Reacting to operational issues, either customer or technical and prioritising remedial action as appropriate to avoid poor customer experience or internal inefficiency.
- Build relationships within the industry (Train Operating Companies, Rail Delivery Group and other relevant bodies) that will enable us to bring about our plans for making digital ticketing a network wide reality.
- Ensure that we retain our industry accreditation, as required by our retail licence.
- Build respect and credibility with stakeholders, management peers, direct reports, executives and investors.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of product development work, helping shape customer experience, through customer research and user testing.
- Demonstrable customer-centric experience gathering insights to really understand what is of value to our users
- Experience of working closely with an Agile development team; comfortable with the idea of user stories and working with a team to prioritise the details of the work, setting sprint goals as appropriate.
- Analytical thinking and decision making, able to weigh up conflicting priorities and make the right decision.
- Good balance of quantitative and qualitative skills & demonstrable experience of making data-driven decisions and product validation.
- Ability to analyse and query data (SQL proficient or ability to learn).
- A working knowledge of UK or international rail/public transportation industry is essential for this role.
- 5+ years’ experience and qualified to degree level
Closing date for applications: 8th March 2017.