Technical Author, Halesowen
We have a unique opportunity available for a Technical Author to join our clients European Software Department in Halesowen.
Our clients’ reputation is one of customer dedication and they take pride in the providing the competitive edge for each of their customers.
As a Company they continue to grow through innovative thinking and high investment in their team, due to this they hold a reputation for low staff turnover and offer an outstanding working environment.
Overview of the Role of Technical Author
As the company Technical Author you will maintain and manage all written content relating to their software. You will work alongside the development team to primarily develop and maintain the online help systems for the Group’s software products.
The position of Technical Author is based at our clients’ headquarters in Dudley, West Midlands but they deliver their offering to over 10 European countries. The Technical Author (TA) will be responsible for producing well written, technically accurate documents in compliance with the company's agreed house-style and would very much suit an enthusiastic author to be the “voice” of the developer.
Our client has two software products, primarily targeted at the house building industry (with a focus on Timber):
• A proprietary CAD system “PAMIR”
• An AutoCAD Application (a large, sophisticated application) “WoodEngine”.
Ideal Credentials / Skills needed for the role of Technical Author:
• A university degree in Technical Writing, Computer Science, English, or similar;
• Previous experience of collating and writing reference manuals, user guides or training materials. Ideally this will have been within a Technical Author/ Writer role;
• Strong technical aptitude with the capability to quickly learning complex technologies;
• Command of a second language would be beneficial – especially Swedish, French or German;
• Convey technical ideas, concepts and procedures in clear, concise and accurate English;
• Manipulate text and images to create well-structured, documentation that is easily absorbed by the target user;
• Establish correct terminology and use it consistently;
• Plan, research, write, and edit documents from conception to delivery;
• Gather information by studying existing technical content, interviewing subject matter experts and sometimes interacting with the product directly;
• Monitor related information sources and attend appropriate project meetings to determine and communicate requirements, priorities and dependencies;
• Adapt written and graphical communication styles to suit different target audiences;
• Create or commission photographs or illustrations;
• With the product Technical Authority, scrutinise, proof read and edit as necessary all documentation produced, to ensure complete accuracy of content and presentation prior to distribution. These requirements will often fall within tight deadlines and accuracy whilst working at pace with need to be demonstrated;
• Reviewing the way, the Company's technical documents are compiled and produced, suggesting improvements and implementing agreed changes.
To be successful for the role of Technical Author, you must have:
• Excellent communication skills;
• Excellent literacy skills both written and verbal;
• Excellent IT Skills;
• Ability to learn quickly and accurately;
• Have a logical and thorough approach to problem solving;
• Be a quality focused;
• Possess an eye for detail;
• Well organised with good prioritisation skills;
• A team player, with the ability to work on your own initiative;
• Approachable with a willingness to help others.
Salary and Rewards
The benefits for the role of Technical Author are:
• Competitive Salary of circa £30K negotiable,- depending upon experience
• Stakeholder Pension Plan
• 25 Days Holidays
• Training & Development
How to Apply
Please note that in accordance with our recruitment and consultancy processes, Hot Recruitment Consultants t/a eRecruitSmart may send your CV, if shortlisted, to the Hiring Manager at our Clients’ business and by applying for this position you give your consent for us to do so.
You must have eligibility to work in the UK. Please note, only suitable applicants will be contacted. If your address and contact details are not on your CV, you will not be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Technical author, it, technical, documents,