Magazine Editor - Technology
Technology Editor (E&T)
Circa £35,000 to £42,000 per annum
The IET are seeking an experienced and motivated Technology Editor to take responsibility for providing the best possible in-depth coverage of technical subjects for Engineering & Technology (E&T) magazine.
Engineering & Technology is an award-wining magazine with one of the highest circulations of any B2B magazines in the UK. Its print magazine, website and app cover subjects ranging from sustainable energy, HS2 and driverless cars to artificial intelligence, cybersecurity and the internet of things. The Technology Editor will write, commission and edit in-depth features and other media for our worldwide readership of 150,000 professional engineers who receive E&T magazine as part of their membership of the Institution of Engineering & Technology, the largest organisation of its type in Europe.
We are looking for a highly experienced journalist from the features desk of a similar industry title in the engineering or technology space. A degree in a relevant subject is an advantage but not essential. The ability to understand and explain complex technologies to the readers in a compelling and attractive way is essential.
Please apply by sending in your CV and enclosing examples of work from your portfolio. Please also be sure to confirm your salary expectations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities (summary)
- To manage Assistant Features Editors and work with them to achieve the following objectives.
- To formulate and propose ideas for in-depth features in the specialist areas of energy, transport, production, control, test & measurement, the built environment, IT, communications, electronics and related engineering or technology subject areas.
- To plan, write and commission these articles to enable publication of issues of E&T, to a predetermined schedule and page budget
- To ensure articles are written and presented in the correct style and tone for E&T as determined by the Editor-in-Chief.
- To seek out and work with high quality authors for E&T, ensuring that they continue to produce well-written work and that their work is presented to maximise readership.
- To edit and prepare articles and other content to high editorial/production standards, in a cost-effective manner
- To plan features and cover stories for the coming year
- To liaise with the Managing Editor and/or Advertising Sales Department to ensure that space is provided for advertising and that editorial coverage is attractive to potential advertisers
- To work with authors, designers and the Picture Editor to ensure high quality visual presentation of features
- To work with the Managing Editor to enable good flat-planning of the features section
- To stay up to date with technology developments and issues by reading, conversing or attending events
- To contribute occasional news and comment to the E&T website
- To ensure regular news emails are checked before mailing.
- Education to at least degree level, or equivalent
- Portfolio demonstrating extensive experience in writing, commissioning and editing articles on STEM subjects for national or specialist newspapers, magazines, books or websites
- Knowledge of and contacts in engineering and technology industries
- Ability to understand technical material and to produce clear and accurate English, to the highest editorial standards, with meticulous attention to accuracy and details.
- Knowledge of industry-standard editorial techniques and conventions
- Knowledge of print and publishing processes for magazines
- Good communication skills to work with authors, colleagues and contacts
- Organisational and planning skills to ensure a stream of articles, cover lines and images for future issues, with an eye to overall editorial direction of the magazine and balance with the needs of the Advertising Sales Department
- Experience of word processing packages, graphics and picture formats and e-mail.
- Ability to motivate members and other engineers to participate in the generation of content
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent, in a science or engineering subject
- Experience of picture research and editing
- Experience of flat-planning
- Experience of writing cover lines
- Sub-editing experience.
- Knowledge of an additional language