Care Assistant - Grand Home for the elderly
This post is working within a leading stately residential home / hospital for selective retired / elderly people in central London. This post offers an excellent opportunity to work within spectacular grounds and historic, elegant buildings.
To provide the highest standard of personal care and assistance to the Residents, promoting their dignity and individuality at all times. To be involved in the general activities of the Infirmary. To maintain a safe and secure environment for Residents, Staff Members and Visitors.
- Paid Lunch Breaks
- You need to be prepared to work the full range of 12 hour shifts i.e. a mix of days/nights/weekends/bank holidays etc. It usually works out that you would do 7 x 12 hour shifts every 2 weeks.
DUTIES TO INCLUDE:
- Ensure the highest possible levels of care are maintained by supporting / assisting Residents when required, with all aspects of daily living.
- Assist Residents in all aspects of their care needs (e.g. physical, emotional and spiritual).
- Provide supervision and attention when needed, ensuring Residents retain their comfort, dignity and pride.
- Act as a Key Worker for nominated Residents in line with the Infirmary policies and procedures.
- Play a key role in the serving of meals and helping frail Residents unable to feed themselves. Observe the principles of safety in food handling. Support all Residents in maintaining good hydration and monitor food and fluid intake assisting where necessary those Residents unable to do so for themselves.
- Pay particular attention to assisting Residents who have limited mobility, or physical difficulties making the best used of aids provided.
- Closely monitor Residents who may be confused and/or who have behavioural problems.
- Assist in the promotion of continence. Maintain regular, scrupulous cleanliness and assistance for those Residents who are incontinent and unable to help themselves
- Assist in the delivery of care for Residents who are dying or who have a progressive illness. Assist with last offices.
- Complete written daily records in the Residents care plan as instructed and in line with the policies and procedures.
- Assist in the framework of social activities by interacting with Residents and helping them continue with hobbies and activities in the Infirmary.
- Liaise with, and support the Activities Team in the activities programme.
- Answer Nurse Call system, giving assistance as required. Answer telephone appropriately. Respond accordingly and pass on messages promptly.
- Report on well-being of Residents to senior members of staff on duty.
- Carry out regular checks on Residents over the 24 hour period.
- Make Visitors feel welcome. Provide refreshments/assistance as and when required.
- You must have Experience in administration of medication in care homes.
- Experience and Genuine interest in working with, the elderly.
- Experience as a Care Assistant with the elderly
- NVQ or equivalent qualifications in Care
- Recent experience in a similar role
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
Care / Carer / Elderly / Healthcare / Nursing / Home / Hospital