About the home:
Beech Rehab Unit is located on the site of Manor Court Nursing Home, a purpose built home situated in Southall.
Beech Rehab Unit is a 15 bedded inpatient rehabilitation unit which specialises in providing up to 6 weeks inpatient rehabilitation for people living in the London Borough of Ealing.
The focus of the unit is to improve patient's function using goal directed therapy. Our aim is to enable a safe discharge back to the community with an emphasis on independence.
The role requires a well developed knowledge and clear experience of general rehabilitation. We are seeking someone with the confidence to develop the service as needed and the ability to advocate for your profession within a multidisciplinary team. You would require experience and confidence applying your skills and leading on OT input within the therapy team including delegation to rehabilitation assistants. The role will require you to work alongside multidisciplinary colleagues to provide a 7 day service.
Common responsibilities of the job include:
- Undertaking patient assessments of all occupational performance components. Complex and broad understanding of function and impact of physical disability.
- Planning and providing appropriate treatment/graded activities.
- Use of goal setting to progress patient's function, using the SMART format.
- Giving advice and arranging support for family members, carers and partners.
- Completing home environmental assessments including falls risk assessments.
- Recommending and ordering appropriate equipment for rehabilitation and discharges.
- Liaising with Doctors, Social workers, family members/carers, and other professionals and keeping them updated.
- Complex discharge planning with patients with multiple co-morbidities including close liaison with external agencies to facilitate this.
- Carrying out audits and highlighting developmental opportunities for the unit.
- Assessing treatment success and outcomes at multi-professional case conferences/meetings.
- Supervision and education of rehab assistants.
What you will need
- Bsc Hons Occupational Therapy
- At least 2 years experience in a rehabilitation setting or equivalent skill set.
- Experience of working with; older adults, complex discharge planning, general medicine, orthopaedics.
- Well developed understanding and ability to assess patients with cognitive impairments such as dementia.
- Previous NHS experience.
- Confidence working with older adults and people with complex rehabilitation needs.
- Well developed inpatient rehab skills.
- Clear knowledge of falls, hazards and prevention methods including current best practice.
- Clear professional understanding and ability to advocate for occupational performance and independence within rehab and goal setting.
- Enthusiasm to work within a new and developing service.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including verbal and written.
- An interest in working closely with people.
- Well developed skills in prioritisation and joint MDT working.
- Experience of teaching/educating/supervising junior staff.
- Awareness of current legislation, such as but not limited to;
- Mental Capacity Act
- Deprivation of Liberties
- Care Act
- Dementia Strategy