Trainee Hire Controller
Founded in 1946, Selwood is now a £50m turnover company employing 470 staff throughout its nationwide network of branches and is one of the largest privately owned companies serving the Water, Environmental and Construction industries.
Selwood has developed a specialist pump hire division and is currently the No. 1 Pump Hirer in the UK with an unrivalled depth of technical pumping expertise and the largest and most modern fleet.
Our friendly, yet busy branch in Charlton are delighted to invite applications for the position of Trainee Hire Controller.
This is a great opportunity for an individual to join our business, to be trained and mentored by our branch team within a hire branch and the accompanying day to day operations. The role will bring the individual into daily contact with Selwood stakeholders as well as our external client base.
This role requires the individual to be a confident self starter, who has the ability and willingness to learn and develop their skills. The role will require good communication skills both verbal and written correspondence as well as having the ability to use technology and Microsoft office. A background within Hire or within a similar industry would be advantageous. This role is administration based.
Under the guidance of our Branch Hire Controllers, the trainee will be responsible for the following:
- To build a good working relationship with all customers, by telephone contact on weekly basis, to ensure that we are their first call when they have a requirement for hired pumps.
- To make arrangements and appointments for salesmen or representatives to visit the customer and to provide better details of our equipment and to examine their requirements.
- To understand the customer’s business and opportunities and to offer plant immediately available for hire, thereby maximising utilisation.
- To maximise the hiring of the Company’s assets in a manner that is efficient and effective.
- To liaise with all customers over the telephone on a regular basis and organise with Selwood staff for the delivery and collection of the equipment.
- To ensure that all paperwork and Company systems are adhered to.
- Logistics – organising transport in a cost effective manner. Ensuring collections of equipment off-hired are collected within 48 hours. Deliveries are made to the customer when they are scheduled too.
- Ensuring that contract and other systems paperwork are correct and up to date. In-lieu contracts to be clearly identified and replaced immediately required equipment is available.
- Day book and Transport book is kept up to date and is entered correctly and those who are responsible carry out any follow-ups.
- Negotiated hire rates in accordance with price lists and discount policy as advised from time to time.
- Following Company procedures on pricing policy.
- Ensuring we maximise the effectiveness of Service Engineers.
- Through the Foreman if necessary, ensure that the workshop prepares equipment required to cover outstanding hire requirements.
- Liaising with other branches to ensure smooth running of the operation, thus avoiding duplication.
- To ensure that branch team members, drivers, fitters and Foreman raise correct charges for damages and losses. To liaise with customers to obtain their agreement to these charges.
- To ensure all sales leads at the branch are promptly communicated to the sales staff.
- To take ownership of customer problems and complaints, or to effectively transfer them to other members of the team who, in turn, will take ownership
- In conjunction with the Branch Manager to review prodturn reports in order to contact those customers no longer dealing with us. To be proactive at all times in developing business.
- To attend meetings in order to review the branch’s profitability and to accept responsibility for improving areas that are falling below the minimum set standards.
- To ensure all Company QHSE procedures are complied with.
Selwood are happy to offer a competitive salary, 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays, Pension scheme and Company sick pay.